cracked tank update

2 replies to this topic
  • wpattison

Posted October 20, 2001 - 06:15 AM

some of you may remember that about a month ago i published my "letter to yamaha" where i detailed the problems i encountered when trying unsuccessfully to have the cracked gas tank on my 2000 yz426 warrantied. the letter was part of a package that i sent out of desperation to terry beal, yamaha's top marketing exec in the u.s. the rest of the package included the tank itself, photographs of my very not-wrecked motorcycle, and documentation regarding other owner's difficulty over the same issue.

well, to make a long story less long, i just picked up my new tank! about 3 weeks after i mailed the package, yamaha customer service called and informed me that they had notified the service manager at my dealership that he would need to order me a new tank as soon as i came in and authorized it. needless to say, i wasted about 0.2 seconds doing that, and the tank is here a week later, free of charge. none too soon either, as the spare tank from my '99 400 that i've been using cracked right after i sent the package off!

i just want to say that i really appreciate yamaha taking positive action on this. it was a hell of a fight, and i spent quite a bit of time getting it resolved, but ultimately, they did the right thing, and i respect that. for all you others out there, let this be an example of consumer advocacy. if you have the same kind of problems, don't hesitate to take a position. if you have patience and handle it politely but firmly, you do have a chance!

will pattison
racer, engineer

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted October 20, 2001 - 12:21 PM

curious if you took it to CY?
Good Luck this weekend.
Got the cast off yesterday, and will re-hab for three weeks then be back at it.

• BK14MX

Posted October 22, 2001 - 06:58 AM

Congrates on the battle. A few months ago I broke my tank on an 00', unfortunately, at the time, no one was making a OEM replica tank, all were oversized and I ride only MX.
The tank was 270 bucks. I did not crash either, had a pretty hard impact though. Best I could tell, the little tab under the tank that the rubber strap hooks to appeared to be too high, so I bent it down. I really dont want to break another one. Have there been alot of 426 tanks cracking????

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.