New to me '01 426, ran good, now doesn't

6 replies to this topic
  • stickk

Posted November 05, 2012 - 07:14 AM

Test rode on street, ran it through the gears and it ran very well and crisp. Took it out to the trails and it ran very well. Went riding yesterday and the bike did not run great. As long as I rolled the throttle on easy it was fine, but when giving it a healthy amount of throttle it would sputter.

fresh gas, plug looked fine. the only thing i changed from the previous 2 rides was a new air filter.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

• marv02

Posted November 05, 2012 - 08:02 AM

Check out your [color=#000000]Accelerator[/color] pump [color=#000000]diaphragm[/color] see if any good if you open you thorttle open fast it should spray fuel in to the intake of the motor to much can make it bog to little make run lean.

Look up BK Carb mod

Check the jets and the bowl make sure you dont have dirt in it it could be a clogged jet.

On you new Air filter did you over oil the air filter.

Is your hot start valve all the ways closed if it hangsa open it run LEAN thats bad.

Is you chock off it cause to run rich.

Test rode on street, ran it through the gears and it ran very well and crisp. Took it out to the trails and it ran very well. Went riding yesterday and the bike did not run great. As long as I rolled the throttle on easy it was fine, but when giving it a healthy amount of throttle it would sputter.

fresh gas, plug looked fine. the only thing i changed from the previous 2 rides was a new air filter.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Edited by marv02, November 05, 2012 - 08:07 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted November 05, 2012 - 11:16 AM

Two things: You replaced the air filter; be sure it's not over-oiled, effectively clogging it. Secondly, the plug can "look fine" but be glazed with a semi-conductive deposit that can short under a load. Try a fresh one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • corndog

Posted November 16, 2012 - 06:49 PM

Also consider jetting issues if you test rode the bike on the street at lower elevation and in warmer weather.

• Pooley

Posted November 17, 2012 - 08:26 AM

Check your jetting to make sure that all jets are clean, proper for your elevation, temperature(s), and any mods done to the bike. Follow the stickies in the forums to tune each circuit. Do not assume that the previous owner did the job properly. It also sounds like you should check on the accelerator pump diaphragm and do the O-ring mod. In my experience, the O-ring mod was much, much better than the BK mod and a hell of a lot easier.

Edited by Pooley, November 17, 2012 - 08:27 AM.

• stickk

Posted November 17, 2012 - 07:54 PM

Thanks for the replies fellas. Put in a new plug and that cured the mid range issue. Then found out the fuel screw was set fat for our altitude, turned it to 1 turn out and that fixed the 1/8-1/4 throttle hiccup. That was probably what caused the fouled plug as well.

More info on the o-ring mod please.

Thanks again.

• STR8SHOOTR

Posted November 18, 2012 - 05:02 AM

The O-ring Mod [color="#0f72da"]http://www.thumperta...233#post6157233[/color]

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.