2005 wr450, advice on heated grips and stator upgrade

2 replies to this topic
  • mslow

Posted November 05, 2012 - 06:54 AM

Fellas, I've unfortunately not been able to ride the past three months becasue of a minor wreck that's takign way too long to heal from.
At any rate, I'm planning to extend my riding season by adding some heated grips.
I did do research on here and read a few threads but I need some help.

I'm still new to the WR so my questions are this:
How can I tell if the PO installed a DC converter or did a stator upgrade?
If PO did not, what stator upgrade should I do to power heated grips and a GPS?
Finally, what heated grips are you guys having the best results with?

Thanks in advance!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • allterra

Posted November 05, 2012 - 09:11 AM

I run my gps and aux high intensity lights directly off the battery. the battery acts as a buffer so it will not hit your electrical system so hard.. just remember to turn your stuff off when not needed to allow a full charging of the battery. I think you will find that almost all the heated grips out there are under 2.5 amp on high. note my HID lights have a nomial operating draw of 5a with a ballast assisted 30a startup.

• woods-rider

Posted November 08, 2012 - 03:09 PM

You shouldn't need any electrical system upgrade to run heated grips and power a GPS. Like allterra said, run it off the battery so you have some buffer built in.

Or you could do what I did and float the ground on your stator making it output 100%DC to charge the battery, convert your headlight to an HID and run a DC regulator. Then you whll have more than enough charging power.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.