california DMV/dual sport question

12 replies to this topic
  • secretatlas

Posted November 13, 2003 - 10:43 AM

i thought i heard somewhere that if i at least "start" my paperwork with the dmv before the end of the year i can get my bike dual sported...

so does that mean i can go out, fill out the paper work, turn it in all before i install or even purchase a dual sport kit?

as long as i start the paperwork before the end of the year can i wait to get the kit?

• redrider650r

Posted November 13, 2003 - 03:22 PM

You need to get a lighting inspection done prior to going to the DMV. The lighting is basically the dual sport kit, then you gotta add a horn and a mirror. I bought the kit, installed it and then got the lighting inspection from my local dealer. Then I made an appointment for the DMV. I didnt even bring my bike, no inspection from the DMV. Spent a hour in the DMV filling out paperwork(10 minutes) and figuring out how to get it registered in the computers(50 minutes). Patience is the key!!!

later

• Dirt4me

Posted November 14, 2003 - 01:49 PM

I'm scheduled to go to the DMV next week for mine. Is there anything I need to bring with me other than the following?

DMV Statement of Facts - For "I have recieved and read CHP 888" signed by me
DMV Statement of Facts - All CHP form 888 required equipment is in place and operational signed by my dealer
Current valid OHV registration
"Brake & Light" inspection invioce from dealer

Any form numbers to provide the DMV person to help them find the correct things faster?

Thanks.

• Roll_it_on

Posted November 14, 2003 - 04:39 PM

I think you have it covered. I just got mine street registered in Ca. about three weeks ago with the exact forms you just described. Went pretty smooth however I had to suffer from some heavy sighs and "looks" :mad:from the lady behind the counter when I told her what I was there to do. She didn't like the idea that she had to spend the time to figure out what she needed to do to deal with me. I just smiled alot and was patient and ended up walking out with my plate and an empty wallet. Good luck and I hope you happen to get a seasoned clerk. :)

• larry650

Posted November 14, 2003 - 07:14 PM

I would also recommend liability insurance. The dmv agents ask for it some forget. Just received the plate for my KTM today! The best advice I got on the dual sport process was to use an agent. No standing in line two hours or making appointments with the deadline nearing:

California Auto Licensing
9719 Campo Road
Spring Valley, Ca. 91977
619 667 9561

If your paper work is in order I`d send it to Louise, well worth the forty bucks she charges. :)

• jws

Posted November 15, 2003 - 03:07 AM

Any form numbers to provide the DMV person to help them find the correct things faster?

Thanks.

Chapter 30, Section 30-335 of the DMV guide book which will walk them through the process

jeff :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rnrdozer

Posted November 15, 2003 - 10:09 AM

I just read that they pushed back the new law regarding dual sports to January 2005. :)

• jws

Posted November 15, 2003 - 11:03 AM

where?????? :)

• rnrdozer

Posted November 15, 2003 - 07:08 PM

December Dirt Rider, page 36. But I was wrong it was only extended until January 31 04'. it says the convertion prosses must be started by January 31, 2004.

• Mainjet2001

Posted November 16, 2003 - 06:52 AM

One question....
Does the bike have to be bought before Janurary 1, 2004?

• rnrdozer

Posted November 16, 2003 - 07:06 AM

yes, all bikes up to '04 with a green sticker have to be purchased by Dec. 31, 2003. then it says the conversion must be started by January 31, 2004

• jws

Posted November 16, 2003 - 07:30 AM

One question....
Does the bike have to be bought before Janurary 1, 2004?

from baja designs website-

Bottom Line: The California DMV has issued a Memo stating that in order to Dual Sport a Green Sticker motorcycle in California, the bike must possess a purchase date on or before 12.31.03.

Paperwork to initiate the registration process must be started by 01.31.04.

jeff :)

• Mainjet2001

Posted November 16, 2003 - 08:24 AM

Thanks guys.....
Kinda messes up my plans which were to dual sport the 250 Honda 4 stroke electric start.
Can't get it until mid Jan. at the earliest. Drat.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.