XR 600 Engine Oil Screen

2 replies to this topic
  • skinner

Posted November 13, 2003 - 09:34 AM

I just changed the oil in my recently acquired used XR600R. The oil was pretty grim. :D The level was fine, and the bike doesn't burn oil, but the color had a silver/grey tint to it that I didn't like. My plan is to run the new oil and filter for a ride or two and then change the oil again. When I do the next change, how important is it that I open up the engine case and clean the internal screen? :) I will definately clean the screen in the downtube and, of course, replace the filter, but I don't really want to deal with cracking the engine case if I can avoid it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Moredesert

Posted November 14, 2003 - 02:51 PM

I checked mine a couple of times and never found anything. But if the bike is new to you and you don't know the history it would be wise to do it at least once.

• J_T

Posted November 14, 2003 - 03:00 PM

Did you do it in your XR650R? I'd need to get a new gasket if I was going to wouldn't I? I am going to change my clutch springs and know I can take off the clutch cap and it has an O-ring but I'd have to take off that whole side of the case wouldn't I and that means a new gasket?

Just wondering b/c our dealer hasn't had anything for the BRP in stock so I'd have to get them to order one b/f I attempt it.

Thanks in advance!

Related Content

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.