Countershaft sprocket is the real deal(and other assorted thoughts)

3 replies to this topic
  • RayCharles

Posted November 02, 2012 - 07:10 PM

Hey, moved the 15 tooth to a 14 tooth on my DRZ400S tonight and just wanted to comment that the nut was in fact terrifyingly loose, and any new owners (such as myself) should definitely heed the loctite warning. The nut itself came off with a little bit of applied pressure and a handheld wrench. No impact gun, no breaker bar, no holding the rear brake. Additionally, if any of you are curious the 14 tooth sprocket actually comes in handy from what I can tell so far. It makes 3rd a useable around town cruising gear (it was pretty luggy for me originally and I would often have to swap between 2nd and 3rd riding through town). Oh also it makes the front end jump up pretty quick, if thats what youre looking for.

While Im at it, I set my chain sag with the kickstand down and the bike on the floor @ 1.5-2 inches like I read elsewhere on the forum, is this normal for the rest of you?

• ITS CHOOKEN

Posted November 02, 2012 - 07:42 PM

I use 3 fingers between the chain and Behind the swingarm buffer , at the chains tightest point

• chevybowtieguy

Posted November 13, 2012 - 04:48 PM

yeah i just realized i have been running mine too tight. looked okay sitting in the garage on the kickstand, but when i sat on it and the swing arm levels out a bit the distance between the front and rear sprockets increases and tightens the chain up really tight. so its always good to check it with the suspension loaded to make sure its not super tight while at ride hight.

• RayCharles

Posted November 13, 2012 - 05:03 PM

yeah i just realized i have been running mine too tight. looked okay sitting in the garage on the kickstand, but when i sat on it and the swing arm levels out a bit the distance between the front and rear sprockets increases and tightens the chain up really tight. so its always good to check it with the suspension loaded to make sure its not super tight while at ride hight.

Agreed. After I posted this I checked it again under full load and it was still binding so I let it out one more notch. Its riding nicely now!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Looking at a drz400s and dr650se by lpfm1990

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR
  • Hot  24 replies
Forums
Photo

What did you BUY for your DRZ today by Craig-o

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  1,966 replies
Forums
Photo

Sm/S riders, how often do you switch out your dirt and street tires? by carmstro2096

• Hot  30 replies
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013 by hondajon80

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013
  • 11 reviews
  • Last review by Thorgrim
  • On July 10, 2014
Forums
Photo

Who Has The Lightest DRZ400E and How Did You Achieve It? by Positron007

• Hot  45 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.