'10 yz450f no third gear?

2 replies to this topic
  • merk57

Posted November 02, 2012 - 04:37 PM

i just gernaded 2nd and 3rd on my 450, while replacing the gears and bearings i also put a new top end and crank in it while i had it apart. i test rode it down the street and it runs solid until i shift into 3rd. it feels LIKE i shifted into third with the clutch in and kept revving it, almost like a neutral but i felt it TRYING to engage... like i was slipping the clutch out (if i were to actually have the clutch in. make sense? basically 3rd is now neutral... my friend is doing all the work and he is a good mechanic but is baffled by this, he tore it apart again today and still can't find anything wrong. also it hand shifts on the bench fine and feels completely normal. anyone run into this and if so what was the cause/possible cause?

thanks,
bryan

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • merk57

Posted November 02, 2012 - 06:12 PM

i just searched back in the forums and i see greyracer mentioned in another thread that it is most likely the 3rd and 5th gear wheels as well as the #3 shift fork. someone else mentioned in the same thread that "bingo" that was the problem.

• fraser

Posted November 03, 2012 - 02:19 AM

Mine has always had issues with a false neutral between 2nd and 3rd. I replaced the two gears and shift fork which improved it for a while but then it came back. Now I live with it, make sure I change gear solidly. Doesn't do it all the time and doesn't get any worse. This bike is known for it, not everyone's but its well documented.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.