'07 starter damper assembly for '03 450 upgrade?

4 replies to this topic
  • dkwaldo

Posted November 01, 2012 - 05:32 PM

Hi there,

I recently bought an '03 WR450F. It still has the stock idler gear. It had the original chain, so probably not a lot of hours on it. I'm looking for a used starter damper assembly and was wondering what years are compatible. Will an '07 or '08 work, or does it have to be an '04? I have all of the other parts I need. I would rather not spend $200+ for a new one if I don't have to.

Thanks for your time.

• hafte

Posted November 02, 2012 - 03:21 AM

The main part for modificatin is 5TJ-15560-00-00. It is the same for years 2004-2006. 2007 will not fit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • truckeeman

Posted November 02, 2012 - 04:36 AM

just did it on my 03. if you dont find one used check out RonAyers.com. here is a link to their fiche and pricing. http://www.ronayers..../STARTER_CLUTCH_
not quite $200 .... and new. you also might want to follow my thread http://www.thumperta.../221-dirt-bike/ as the washers for the mod have me a bit concerned

• dkwaldo

Posted November 02, 2012 - 07:51 AM

hafte, thanks for the info. That's what I needed.

truckeeman, I couldn't get your link to work. I ordered the washers that everyone has been using since the modification began in '04. What is your concern?

thanks again,
Dale

• truckeeman

Posted November 05, 2012 - 08:09 AM

dkwaldo.
on the damper assembly shaft there are grooves that that go around the shaft right where the washers sit on each side of teh assembly as shown in the 04 fische. the washers are the correct diameter for the shaft but are loose when they are in place. strange. the play is minimal and since the assembly only spins when you using it...probably wont be an issue for sometime, if ever, but i am going to take mine apart in the near future for a close inspection. ran it for two 100 mi days this past wknd and the mod worked flawlessly

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.