couple of questions

6 replies to this topic
  • redrocketship

Posted October 31, 2012 - 08:43 AM

First is the chain. It sounds like its slapping if I lug the motor or I'm in too high of a gear. Does this mean its too loose or is this normal.

Other question is about the seat. Am I the only one that gets a sore butt from this seat. I cant even ride a whole day without my rear starting to hurt and this makes riding less fun. Should I get a softer seat foam? Will that cure the problem?

Thanks !

• avocasingletrack

Posted October 31, 2012 - 08:51 AM

I have a Guts tall soft seat on my wr450 ... Its the most comfortable seat i have ... Btw, im 5'9" I think the tall soft just compresses more , more cushion

Edited by avocasingletrack, October 31, 2012 - 10:25 AM.

• Taxgod4u

Posted October 31, 2012 - 10:08 AM

X 2 on the soft foam. No more baboon ass for me! Son has the medium firmness and he says it is better than stock but still hurts. I stuck with the stock hight, soft, as I am 5'8". It got me one inch closer to terra firma when I stop. Eliminated the need to lower the bike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • knottyv8

Posted October 31, 2012 - 01:54 PM

I would say the chain is to loose,i had the same problem when i fitted a new chain,not sure of the correct tension off hand,but make sure you don't make it to tight

• avocasingletrack

Posted October 31, 2012 - 02:37 PM

Put bike on a stand, Loosen up the axle bolt , then take a small wrench , turn the rear wheel backward and slip that wrench between the chain and rear sprocket... you should be able to turn it under to between the 12 and 1 oclock position ... then tighten up the chain tensioners if they or the chain is still loose . After that , just make sure the rear wheel is aligned... measure center to center from the swingarm bolt to rear axle and get it same on both sides. Dont make the chain too tight , that will stretch the chain or worse, it could crack your case when you bottom out . The chain should get fully tight after turning a wench in between the chain and rear sprocket to about the 1 O'clock position ... do this and then tighten the axle bolt back up ... remove the small wrench. Hope that helps !

• Rocky739

Posted October 31, 2012 - 04:22 PM

Adjust the chain as recommended in your owners manual, the chain does slap around some.. Overtighting chain will wear chain faster and can even damage the transmission.

• MANIAC998

Posted October 31, 2012 - 04:30 PM

Some of the chain slap noise is coming from the plastic swingarm buffer pad slapping against the swingarm. Put camper shell tape under it, and you will be amazed at how much quieter it will be. And, you'll stop it from wearing into the swingarm!! Win, win!!!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.