GYTR and JD jet question

11 replies to this topic
  • medicman

Posted October 30, 2012 - 04:16 PM

So I have an 2011 wr450 with all the free mods done and an fmf power bomb full exhaust. My question is I installed the JD kit when I bought the bike brand new. Runs great. I also had purchased the GYTR block off kit that came with all the other jets and two years later just put the block off kit on. I forgot what the JD came with as far as jets. The GYTR has the leak jet, etc etc. What comes in the GYTR kit that the JD kit doesn't have? Hope that wasn't to confusing

• MANIAC998

Posted October 31, 2012 - 02:43 AM

You have both the GYTR & JD, so why don't you just look? :confused:

• medicman

Posted October 31, 2012 - 02:59 AM

I don't want to replace any of the JD stuff with GYTR stuff. Does the JD kit only have the needle, and main jet?

• jrutkows

Posted October 31, 2012 - 02:20 PM

I don't want to replace any of the JD stuff with GYTR stuff. Does the JD kit only have the needle, and main jet?

The only thing different about JD is the needle. All other jets are the same (i.e. the 160 main in his kit is no different that one you would order through yamaha), though I belive because of needle design you wind up using a size or two larger main jet that you might otherwise. The leak jet affects the AP squirt volume, I don't think the JD kit came with a different leak jet. The leak jet has a little more to do with how you ride than anything.

There is no magic to jetting, if it's running well there is no reason to change out jets.

Do a search if you want to fine tune your AP, there is a ton of stuff on here to help.

Edited by jrutkows, October 31, 2012 - 02:24 PM.

• medicman

Posted October 31, 2012 - 02:30 PM

Thanks man

• crash279

Posted October 31, 2012 - 07:25 PM

The GYTR kit comes with a #175 main. Has anyone actually used that one?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • medicman

Posted November 01, 2012 - 09:38 AM

I am debating using the 175. Going to ride glamis sand dunes and I think I'll need to go bigger on the main. Anyone have glamis jetting down for an 07+ wr450

• crash279

Posted November 01, 2012 - 02:51 PM

I am debating using the 175. Going to ride glamis sand dunes and I think I'll need to go bigger on the main.

What makes you say that? What main do you currently have?

• KennyMc

Posted November 01, 2012 - 03:57 PM

The only thing I used from the GYTR kit was the block off and the throttle stop. All jetting I did was from the JDJetting kit.

Red needle
168 Main
48 Pilot

Don't remember the rest of the jets as I put them in before I even rode the bike back in '07.

• medicman

Posted November 01, 2012 - 08:57 PM

What makes you say that? What main do you currently have?

Well I have the JD main in there right now I think that's a 168. Glamis will be a big load on the bike(sand) so I assume I should go up on the main right. It runs great right now so maybe I'll not F with it

• jrutkows

Posted November 02, 2012 - 07:13 AM

I am debating using the 175. Going to ride glamis sand dunes and I think I'll need to go bigger on the main. Anyone have glamis jetting down for an 07+ wr450

Assuming you bike runs well now, unless you are dropping 5000ft+ in altitude and going from summer to winter riding, there is no justification for switching 2 jet sizes. My guess is that you are too rich already, I have an 07 set up like yours and it runs perfect with a 42 pilot and 155 main at ~6000ft (you are suggesting that you need to be 7 jet sizes larger on the main?, make no sense to me). You paid a ton of money for the the JD kit, the jets are cheap. You really paid for his printout with proper jet size for temp and elevation. Why did you pay all that money if you are going to ignore it? What does the sheet say?

Every bike is different, and the only way to properly jet is through slow tedious comparisons of jet sizes vs. performance. Most people do not have the time or patience it takes to do this right, which is why the JD kit is so popular. He has done the experiment for you, and sold you the result.

I'm no jetting expert, but my experience is that when you go one size too lean the the change is really noticable, when you go one size too rich it's harder to tell a difference. If you want to experiment, then drop a jet size and see what happens, if you can't notice much then there is no reason at all to go bigger. If the bike runs like @#$%^ then you might consider going up one size.

good luck, j-

• medicman

Posted November 02, 2012 - 08:10 AM

Thanks for the input. I think ill take the advice and leave it alone for now, just ride and be happy!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.