Fork bushings

5 replies to this topic
  • biggercb

Posted October 30, 2012 - 08:13 AM

I have a 2003 yz450f...A couple years ago had the suspension revalved and resprung for my weight. Due to life circumstances..I have been to the Little Sahara dunes two weekends, and went to ride the desert outside New Mexico two weekends, and have been to the local mx track two seperate days.

I am not a big jumper at the dunes and I am not a fast guy on the track.

My fork seals were leaking and I took it into the local shop to be fixed and they told me my fork bushings were worn and needed replaced.

My question is: Is the sand that hard on forks? Is there something else going on to wear the bushings out so fast?

Thanks for the info!

• chrismxer

Posted October 30, 2012 - 11:03 AM

I ride a lot of sand and I haven't seen any abnormal wear from the sand I ride in. If anything sand is worse for embedding itself in the Teflon not wearing them down. We're talking really small stuff not a normal grain of sand.

I see most bushing wear come from bigger guys. Also your forks not being aligned, and not changing the oil frequently can also wear them out. Some shops just change them while there in there.

• crf450319

Posted October 30, 2012 - 01:17 PM

You can replace the fork seals without any specialized tools, although these make life much easier :

and :

Part 1 :

Part 2 - skip from the beginning of this one until 3:20 if you don't want to take the inner cartridge apart :

It's not a hard job at all, and doesn't take a lot of time either. What shops around here charge to replace fork seals is ludicrous. I went from replacing my own fork seals, to changing the oil in the inner cartridge, to servicing my shock. I'm the go to guy for most of my buddy's now, which isn't always a good thing...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 30, 2012 - 02:01 PM

That video is not specific to the '03 fork. The vid is for a later twin chamber fork. The '03 is an open chamber, and changing the seals and bushings is a simpler process if you leave the cartridge in the bottom of the fork.

• crf450319

Posted October 31, 2012 - 09:49 AM

Cartridge type fork seal change :

part 2 :

• biggercb

Posted November 01, 2012 - 10:28 AM

Thanks! Sweet videos!

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.