wr450 Overheating

9 replies to this topic
  • robls

Posted October 29, 2012 - 07:28 PM

An Aspen tree jumped out in from of me on a trail ride and tweeked my left radiator. The frame was bent a little and there was a hair line crack on the top. I sent it to Myler radiators and they welded the crack and reinforced all other welds.

I reinstalled the fixed radiator and now the bike over heats very fast......10-15 minutes. No leaks, steams like its on fire. The over flow antifreeze boils and pours out.

It appears like there is flow with the radiators.

?????????

• MANIAC998

Posted October 30, 2012 - 03:01 AM

When it boils over, it's not just sitting there in the garage running for 10-15 minutes, right? Every bike will boil over in 10-15 minutes while just sitting there. They need airflow over them to keep them cool.

• robls

Posted October 30, 2012 - 04:27 AM

My bike has always been able to idle for longer times without overheating,even on hot days(80 degrees). However, it is currently overheating riding down the road at a low rpm and on a cool day (50 degrees). Is there a way to confirm with all certainty whether the water pump is working or not?

My bike has always been able to idle for longer times without overheating,even on hot days(80 degrees). However, it is currently overheating riding down the road at a low rpm and on a cool day (50 degrees). Is there a way to confirm with all certainty whether the water pump is working or not?

• stevethe

Posted October 30, 2012 - 07:15 AM

Do you have enough anti freeze in the mix. I run straight dex cool never overheats,.

• robls

Posted October 30, 2012 - 07:35 AM

Yes, good on antifreeze. Anyone know how to confirm the water pump is working?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • n16ht5

Posted October 30, 2012 - 11:33 AM

disconnect the hose and crank it over

• robls

Posted October 31, 2012 - 08:21 AM

Water pump is good. Flow is good. Antifreeze is good. Bike still overheats at idle or riding fast at low RPMs!

• Taxgod4u

Posted October 31, 2012 - 10:09 AM

too lean? possible air leak??

• GlennR

Posted October 31, 2012 - 11:26 AM

Where all did you check the flow? Is it flowing freely through both radiators? Just wondering if the repaired one is restricting flow. Maybe there is an air lock or something that's preventing the system from circulating. Is there a vent that needs to be opened on the opposite side while refilling?

• n16ht5

Posted October 31, 2012 - 01:11 PM

did you try taking the fixed radiator and running a garden hose through it? blowing through it with your mouth? if its not that then probably air like above post

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.