2001 WR426 Question

3 replies to this topic
  • hezzdown

Posted October 29, 2012 - 05:59 PM

Hey all! I bought a WR426 a while back and tore it down to the frame and rebuilt it from the ground up as soon as I got it home. Never even rode it before I tore it down. Well I finished the build tonight and it runs really strong. Just have two questions...

1) When the bike warms up the header pipe up near the cylinder glows red. Is this normal for these bikes? My regular rider (KTM) doesn't do that.

2) Anyone know what the color combos for plugging in the rear tail light are? Three wires there but only two being used. I'm guessing the third would be for a brake light which it doesn't have.

Thanks for any and all feedback in advance!

• hezzdown

Posted October 30, 2012 - 03:20 AM

Sorry about that, should have done some searching here first. The glowing header pipe appears to be the norm on these bikes. I thought so, years back I had a buddy with a yz426 and I seem to remember it doing that as well.

Sorted out the brake light situation as well. When I put the bike back together I mounted the headlight switch up next to the grip which shortened the wiring harness just enough to make the brake light connectors under the seat just barely come loose. I'll have to see if I can move things around to get the needed length or just lengthen the wiring.

I should take that look before you leap advice my parents gave me when I was a kid I guess ;-)

Sorry about that, should have done some searching here first. The glowing header pipe appears to be the norm on these bikes. I thought so, years back I had a buddy with a yz426 and I seem to remember it doing that as well.

Sorted out the brake light situation as well. When I put the bike back together I mounted the headlight switch up next to the grip which shortened the wiring harness just enough to make the brake light connectors under the seat just barely come loose. I'll have to see if I can move things around to get the needed length or just lengthen the wiring.

I should take that look before you leap advice my parents gave me when I was a kid I guess ;-)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MANIAC998

Posted October 30, 2012 - 03:31 AM

No problem! We all re-learn what are parents tried to teach us from time to time!!! Glad you got it figured out! :thumbsup:

• AKmud

Posted October 30, 2012 - 05:38 AM

You can buy a brake light switch for cheap and plug it right in to the harness if you are so inclined. It replaces the banjo bolt on the brake line at the foot brake lever. I would post a link but my buddy actually picked mine up for me and I don't remember where he got it... It was only a couple of bucks though.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.