yz400 carb swap?

6 replies to this topic
  • MrN2OBelvedere

Posted October 27, 2012 - 06:33 PM

Could I swap a 426 carb onto my 400?

• grayracer513

Posted October 27, 2012 - 06:54 PM

You could. The 426 carbs are FCR-MX39's, as are the 450 carbs, but the '05 and up YZ450 carbs are a revised, improved version that works considerably better overall.

But the 426 carb comes with the hot start built in, which is inconvenient, but relieves you of the time and expense of setting up for the bar mounted HS. If you find one that's in good condition without a lot of wear in the nozzle or slide plate, you'd be way ahead compared with the FCR on the 400.

• MrN2OBelvedere

Posted October 29, 2012 - 02:01 PM

You could. The 426 carbs are FCR-MX39's, as are the 450 carbs, but the '05 and up YZ450 carbs are a revised, improved version that works considerably better overall.

But the 426 carb comes with the hot start built in, which is inconvenient, but relieves you of the time and expense of setting up for the bar mounted HS. If you find one that's in good condition without a lot of wear in the nozzle or slide plate, you'd be way ahead compared with the FCR on the 400.

Thanks for the info!

So could I swap a 450 carb from a bike up to 09 on my 400? This would be great because components are so much cheaper on the newer carbs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2012 - 07:41 PM

You'll have some "problems" doing that. One is that you'll need cables for the bike your carb comes from, but they'll work in your throttle.

You'll need to plug off the vacuum port at the head where your current hot start goes, as well as the hole in the air boot for the same item.

If you use a YZ450 carb, you'll want to get it with as much of the hot start stuff as you can, from the lever down to the plunger, or you'll need to piece it together.

Lastly, the carb's a little shorter, so here's the trick: clamp the air boot on first, then push the whole thing forward into the carb mounting sleeve. Piece of cake.

• MrN2OBelvedere

Posted November 01, 2012 - 04:29 PM

Do you think the jetting would be similar from one bike to the next? I wonder if I could use the jetting from the 400 carb in the 450 carb?

The only real reason I am considerng this so strongly is because the rebuild kits for the 400 carb are very expensive and parts/gaskets for the 450 carb are cheap. The rebuild kit from sudco for the 400 carb is like $130.

• grayracer513

Posted November 02, 2012 - 06:10 AM

Stock 450 jetting normally works. The improvement in overall performance is worthwhile regardless of the cost either way.

• MrN2OBelvedere

Posted November 05, 2012 - 05:01 PM

Well I found/bought a 2006 yz450 carb off of fleabay today. I'll have to score the throttle cables and hotstart stuff but I got the carb pretty cheap so I hope it doesn't add up to too much.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.