How to ride it

5 replies to this topic
  • candlkirk

Posted October 18, 2001 - 03:31 AM

I just sold my yz250. Yesterday I bought a new 426. How will I have to change my riding style now. I guess what I am asking is how do I ride this thing.

• Scott_F

Posted October 18, 2001 - 04:19 AM

Don't chop the throttle on take offs! Don't slip the clutch. Don't be afraid to rev it after break in. The rest will come with practice. You will either quickly adapt after 2-3 rides, or not. If you are a smooth rider, it will come naturally.

• candlkirk

Posted October 18, 2001 - 04:57 AM

Thanks, Can anyone give me some advice on suspension setup. Also is pump gas alright to run in it. I have been riding for several years and hope I can abapt to the 4-Stroke.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Merfman

Posted October 18, 2001 - 05:02 AM

Having come from a 98YZ250, onto a YZ426, I can sympathize.
I find that if you ride the YZF like a two stroke, IOW, be
aggresive, you'll haul major anus. There *are* times I fan
the clutch and that makes things happen in a hurry. The
only other thing I found is that you MUST plan ahead to turn.
The YZF will not cut-n-thrust like a 250 simply because it
won't stop like a 250.

As for the suspension, I'd suggest going full-soft until it
breaks in, then start turning the compression in, in two click
increments until its plush but firm enough that you only bottom
once per lap if on a track. I had my suspension revalved by
a local guru and the diff is pretty drastic. Also, make sure the
sag is set correctly as if it isn't, the bike is pretty "ass happy"
(at least to me)

Merf

• sirthumpalot

Posted October 18, 2001 - 06:09 AM

I'm just an average rider and everyone has their own style anyway, but I personally find that I don't have to use any clutch exiting corners and even turn most corners in 3rd gear. I'm probably one of the smaller guys on these things (6', 160# without gear) but for me it pulls plenty hard just off idle for most situations so I usually ride the track that I frequent completely in 3rd. The motor is my favorite part of this bike, you'll love it for sure! Remember that even though it does rev great, it also makes awesome power down low and especially in the middle so you won't have to shift nearly as much as you do on a 2-stroke.

If you stall it, don't touch the throttle and pull the hot start before you even attempt to start it. If I do this then it usually starts right up with no more than 3 kicks (usually one or two), even if I have fallen over.

I'm not much help in the suspension department as the stock setup is just about perfect for the track that I ride. Set the sag and play with the clickers a bit, nothing else needed in my case. Pump gas is OK if you get the premium. My bike was fouling plugs sometimes during the first cold start of the day but I haven't had that problem at all since I have switched brands of gas (was using Mobil, now using Shell) plus it seems to run better with the Shell gas. I'm at sea level and my jetting is completely stock so I'm pretty sure the gas had something to do with it.

Did you get an '02 or an '01? Let us know how you like it!

• candlkirk

Posted October 18, 2001 - 07:51 AM

Originally posted by sirthumpalot:
I'm just an average rider and everyone has their own style anyway, but I personally find that I don't have to use any clutch exiting corners and even turn most corners in 3rd gear. I'm probably one of the smaller guys on these things (6', 160# without gear) but for me it pulls plenty hard just off idle for most situations so I usually ride the track that I frequent completely in 3rd. The motor is my favorite part of this bike, you'll love it for sure! Remember that even though it does rev great, it also makes awesome power down low and especially in the middle so you won't have to shift nearly as much as you do on a 2-stroke.

If you stall it, don't touch the throttle and pull the hot start before you even attempt to start it. If I do this then it usually starts right up with no more than 3 kicks (usually one or two), even if I have fallen over.

I'm not much help in the suspension department as the stock setup is just about perfect for the track that I ride. Set the sag and play with the clickers a bit, nothing else needed in my case. Pump gas is OK if you get the premium. My bike was fouling plugs sometimes during the first cold start of the day but I haven't had that problem at all since I have switched brands of gas (was using Mobil, now using Shell) plus it seems to run better with the Shell gas. I'm at sea level and my jetting is completely stock so I'm pretty sure the gas had something to do with it.

Did you get an '02 or an '01? Let us know how you like it!

I got a 2002. I really thank everyone for there help.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.