Need help getting the front sprocket off

10 replies to this topic
  • vomitbomb

Posted October 25, 2012 - 12:03 AM

Hi All,

The 2010 yz450 isn't reverse thread is it? I didn't think it was.

I've tried putting a block of wood between the spokes and the swing arm - still no luck. I just installed a Rekluse so I can't use the gears, doh!

Short of harnessing the power of the sun, what else can I do?

• 72degrees

Posted October 25, 2012 - 12:12 AM

Asssuming it's like earlier YZs. Make sure the locking washer is *absolutely* flat. Soak the nut/shaft with penetrating oil and be patient for a while. Spokes are a bit springy. Try a u-bolt or similar (I use a pipe spanner) through one of the rear sprocket slots/holes if there are any to jam against the swingarm. Use a long 'breaker bar' and well fitting socket. If that fails try to beg, borrow or steal a 'rattle gun' (air impact driver)/compressor and a perfectly fitting 6 point socket.

• STR8SHOOTR

Posted October 25, 2012 - 02:31 PM

impact gun is the easiest way,after you get the lock washer flat

Edited by STR8SHOOTR, October 25, 2012 - 02:31 PM.

• High_Boost

Posted October 26, 2012 - 05:56 AM

I second the impact.. I tried and tried, I used a big long breaker bar with a cheater bar on it, I let it soak for a day with penetrating oil.. it just felt like something was going to break

so I took it to work and used an impact and it spun right off, no sweat

if you dont have access to one, load the bike up and go to a tire shop.. one of the guys in the back would be happy to do it for a couple of buck tip

• cereal killer

Posted October 26, 2012 - 06:53 AM

A shortcut that sometimes works when you don't have access to an impact gun is just to hit the end of the wrench with a big hammer. Hard.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • STR8SHOOTR

Posted October 26, 2012 - 10:35 AM

I have a battery powered Milwaukee 1/2 drive impact bought it on AMAZON. One of the best tools I own for MX and Auto repairs. I don't have room for a compressor and air tools right now, so this works well for me.

• frankie_b_jr

Posted October 26, 2012 - 07:56 PM

I use a bungee cord (a good black one) hooked on the brake pedal, going under the frame, then hooking to the subframe. It locks the back brake solid and saves spokes and spocket mounts.

• cereal killer

Posted October 27, 2012 - 05:47 AM

That's a good idea too, except instead of a bungee cord you can just push the pedal down and stick a screwdriver through the swingarm bolt. Don't know why I didn't think of that until you mentioned the brake pedal, but it's how I keep the clutch basket steady while I tighten the pressure plate bolts.

• Jonnoh

Posted December 08, 2012 - 06:15 PM

Dont bother with the bungee or screwdriver. Assuming the bike is on a stand, just get on the bike and push the rear brake down with your foot and reach down and loosen the nut with your socket wrench. It doesn't get any easier (unless you have the impact wrench ready to rock)

• frankie_b_jr

Posted December 09, 2012 - 09:30 PM

Dont bother with the bungee or screwdriver. Assuming the bike is on a stand, just get on the bike and push the rear brake down with your foot and reach down and loosen the nut with your socket wrench. It doesn't get any easier (unless you have the impact wrench ready to rock)

If you're fat and lazy like me you don't climb on and off any more than necessary :-)

• FinchFan194

Posted December 10, 2012 - 09:06 PM

If it is being REALLY stubborn you may need to stick a small block to tension the chain in between the chain and the swingarm. I have had this problem before and my impact wrench wouldn't touch it, the chain was allowing the front sprocket to shake around too much, as soo as I tensioned it up with a chunk of wood, it slowly spun off.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.