02 YZ426

4 replies to this topic
  • stev0

Posted October 24, 2012 - 10:23 PM

If I recall this was the last model of 426's before the 450 came out,

Were there any known issues with them? Thinking of taking over a mates 426 which he had freshly rebuilt. I sold my Wr450 a couple of years ago and I miss the blue pig.

Anything to look out for?

• stev0

Posted October 25, 2012 - 09:55 AM

wooooot. where are the gurus?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ryan426

Posted October 25, 2012 - 10:11 AM

There great bikes. Just do the regular maints on her and she'll give ya hrs' of great times. I have an '01 that runs great.

• cwallershasta

Posted October 25, 2012 - 10:58 AM

Yes, the whole starting procedure, witch took me a whole day to get used to. I would go TDC down two clicks and back up to start it. At least no one can steal it unless they plan on pushing. If you don't know how to start this bike than good luck to you. I went about four years of riding it and being a buddy bike before I had the valves & piston replaced. Not to much negative to say other than the high center of gravity. The guy I sold it to had to replace the water pump seal in 2010.

• stev0

Posted October 25, 2012 - 11:13 AM

I've played with the bike and she runs good. Less power than my 450 but very rideable and no crazy surprises anywhere. Nothing like the other 04 Yz450 which was either on or off. Sort of like a 250F with more power.

The bike broke a valve not too long ago and uhhh, well we had to rebuild the topend.

Got some parts from your neck of the woods (US) and she was running good except for maybe a tight valve or something ticking a little in the top end. It was then accidentally ran without water and had to fix that and right now we are just sorting out the shims and the sticky valve.

On a good day, I could start it first kick (without decomp) and on a bad day... HOLY Crap, I would kick and kick and kick... and kick some more.

Are the timing chains issues on these bikes too? (like the 450)

any comments on the kibble white valves?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.