revloc vs z-start

26 replies to this topic
  • willy_fitz

Posted November 12, 2003 - 05:50 AM

I thinking about an auto clutch for my wr450f but can't seem to find any information that would help me make an informed decision on which way is the best way to go.
Most of my riding is on single-track in tight trees with a tiny bit of mx (twice or three times a season at the club's track).
Cost is really not an issue if the revloc is the better unit. I also can't see why on the fly stall speed adjustability would be all that important. :)
Any opinions?

Willy Fitz

• ralphfurley

Posted November 12, 2003 - 08:54 AM

The revloc does not require a spacer on the clutch cover.
I bought mine in june 2003 for $850 (instead of $1000)
They said new price drop , not sure if the web site lists this.

The revloc install is easier.
The only down side to an autoclutch is
on slow downhill/bulldog trails, It wont allow
you to kill the motor, leave it in gear and use
the clutch as a rear brake.

The revloc lets me run circles around the 2 strokes on the "c" rider log jams in enduros where the trail is technical.

I would buy the rear brake lever if they made one for my wr450.

Since I don't have on-the-fly adjustability I'm not sure
how often I would use it. Sometimes I turn up the idle
to keep the clutch engaged, depends on the terrain and How tired I am

• Bryan Bosch

Posted November 12, 2003 - 09:28 AM

Are you using the search feature? Search for z-start in the crf450 forum and you'll find tons in info about Rekluse product. I'm not seeing as much talk about the Rev-loc, but I know that they are good too.

• willy_fitz

Posted November 12, 2003 - 10:17 AM

I did a search on both but I was looking for a comparison between the two as to their technical merits but I really haven't seen it.
From what I have been able to gather so far is that the operating principals are similar between the two products but I would prefer to go with the unit that is less maintenance intensive since I still remember the Auto Huskies.

• Jim_bo

Posted November 12, 2003 - 12:12 PM

Ralph,

$850???? I thought auto clutches went for about $300-400. Am I that far off??

By the way, how does the autoclutch work on MX tracks?

Jimbo

• renegade

Posted November 12, 2003 - 01:06 PM

My experience is with a rekluse, which I use in my DRZ. Installation, contrary to what is stated by another poster, is easy. All auto clutches require PROPER set-up be it a revlock, efm, or z-start. The on the fly adjuster for the z-start allows you to retain your clutch lever, should you want to use it occasionally. I started with that feature, but found I never wanted to use the lever, so it's gone. For tight tree riding like you describe, an auto clutch is wonderfull. Reliability is good with the rekluse, and the customer support is legendary. You can read more about the z-start here; http://www.thumperta...art=&PHPSESSID=
AS mentioned above, do a search for z start in the crf450 forum for more threads. Good luck.

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 12, 2003 - 02:06 PM

The WR450 really does not need an auto clutch. But if you put one on dont let the bike go back down a hill climb you did not make. :) No rear wheel lock up will occur if you bail and the bike can tumble to a 4 wheeler type destruction. :D

• renegade

Posted November 12, 2003 - 03:34 PM

The WR450 really does not need an auto clutch. But if you put one on dont let the bike go back down a hill climb you did not make. :) No rear wheel lock up will occur if you bail and the bike can tumble to a 4 wheeler type destruction. :D

No bike needs an autoclutch; it's merely an aftermarket item of personal preference.
There are autoclutch owners/users in this forum who have them on their WR's, I believe that they would agree with what I just said.

• beezer

Posted November 12, 2003 - 03:41 PM

Where we ride the woods are really tight.

An auto clutch wood be nice going over rocks and logs.

• Dez113

Posted November 12, 2003 - 03:52 PM

Revlok!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gottype

Posted November 13, 2003 - 12:40 AM

I have a Z-start in a YZ426 and it was easy to put in, tech support has been great. I race H/S only and have had it for 2 races.Got the hole shots each race came in 1st and 3rd in the 2 races.Wish they would send longer cover bolts with kit had to get my own. Love it in the tight woods!!!!!!

Jay F66 :)

• ekemner

Posted November 13, 2003 - 12:57 AM

I have a Z-start in my YZ450F and I have been amazed with the product and the support you get from AL and his crew! I have the new Generation 3 z-start that Al just started sending out last week and I took it up north in Mio Michigan and I tell you what. I was amazed at how smooth the Generation 3 was over his generation 2. It worked perfect and the installation now if even easier than it was with the Generation 2. Why in the world would you spend $800 to $1000 when you can have a bullet proof set up and #1 customer support for $400? You cannot beat an auto clutch for the woods. Anyone that tells you they can out clutch an auto clutch with there manual clutch in the woods obviously has never used an auto clutch. If you want any info then just PM me as I have been using the z-start since the very beginning as mine was the 1st or 2nd one Al made for the YZ450F. :) :D

Eric

• MANIAC998

Posted November 13, 2003 - 03:52 AM

I have a Rev-Loc on my YZ426F, and have used it since they first came out. This thing is simply amazing! :) In tight woods (we averaged only 14mph all season long in our Hare Scrambles Series), I don't believe you will find a better product! What these things provide is incredible. You can actually concentrate on riding without wasting your time and mental energy worrying about stalling issues. All of them are worth there money! Now about using them for MX. DON'T!!! You will not enjoy them on a MX track. And if they are not set-up properly, (ie. perfectly) you can have some major problems with your transmission. Yamaha's are already weak in the third gear, and with an auto-clutch that transmits 100% of the engine power to the rear wheel, landing from a jump in third gear can result in a blown 3rd gear.
I learned this the hard way.
Twice!
With your stock clutch, it never really sends all of the engine power to the transmission. This is because it always slips alittle. And landing from a big jump, this slipping doesn't overload the transmission in most cases. With an auto-clutch, it uses centrifigual(?) force to engage the clutch pack, hence no slippage the faster the engine is spinning. With no slippage, upon landing from the jump, you have 100% traction, and 100% engine load thru the clutch system into the tranny. Yamaha's third gear can't take it. Of course, like I said, you can fine tune the auto-clutches to slip in these circumstances, but it wouldn't be very beneficial anyhow. I think a normal clutch is alot better for MX. At least, this is my opinion. Maniac :D

P.S. Rev-Loc also stands behind there product extremely well. Yes, I had tranny problems from using there product. But this was MY fault. I was not using their product in its intended enviroment. And when I called up Rev-Loc to ask them about my unique transmission problems, they were extremely helpful, and offered to get me the parts at cost. I do not feel as if this problem was their fault, but I did wish they would have had something in their installation mentioning about possible problems using this for MX, as this would have saved me from blowing my second transmission. Maniac :D

• lightestYZF

Posted November 13, 2003 - 07:57 AM

Maniac998 - I heard the same issue regarding stress on Yam trans gears. Supposedly for MX you are suppose to remove (I think) the inner circle of bearings so less total lock up. Does this make any sense (not sure there is even an inner circle)? I have one but have not installed yet and I never got any documentation. I plan to use for mx. I have a fused left ankle which makes it very difficult to shift so I was hoping the Revloc would reduce my need to shift but that means a lot of stress on 3rd gear.
Your thoughts/input ?

• Jim_bo

Posted November 13, 2003 - 10:34 PM

Interesting stuff... anyone else have experience with autoclutches and MX???

Jimbo

• renegade

Posted November 14, 2003 - 06:50 AM

Interesting stuff... anyone else have experience with autoclutches and MX???

Jimbo

Do a search for z-start in the CRF450 forum. There are many guys there that race with z-starts.

• willy_fitz

Posted November 20, 2003 - 05:02 AM

After talking to a number of people I decided to go with the z-start. I just hope I get a chance to try it before we get snowed in for the season up here in the great white north. The snowmobilers don't like it when we rut up "their" trails. My skis are waxed but we may have a few more weeks yet in the bike season.

• timvv51

Posted November 20, 2003 - 08:40 AM

Dont you still have to physically move the shift lever with your foot to shift gears with an auto clutch? And isnt it best to roll off the throttle some when you shift. I rode a bike with one awhile back and I thought this was the case. I sure did like the way you didnt have to use the clutch lever. Tim

• willy_fitz

Posted November 20, 2003 - 09:36 AM

You are correct. You still have to shift but the big advantage is in the tight woods when you can brake steer and not have to worry about the clutch and stalling the bike. Also takes away the need to feather the clutch in really technical sections. Can't wait to get it installed and try it out.

• renegade

Posted November 20, 2003 - 03:14 PM

Tim, scroll up the thread to my first post and click on the link provided there; it will tell you a little more about auto clutches.
Willy, I think you will like your z-start, a lot! :) Feel free to p.m. me if you have any questions about it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.