Reassembly help- diagram showing which bolts go where?

4 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted October 22, 2012 - 05:37 PM

Reassembling the basket case 426 and I'm down to figuring out the mess the previous owner left for me. All the bolts were just dumped into a plastic bin... I thought I saw a diagram somewhere in the manual showing what length bolt goes where but now I can't find it. I'm mostly worried about the clutch cover/side cases since there are 3-4 different lengths of bolts in various places. Any help anyone?

• Nautical Miles

Posted October 23, 2012 - 04:12 AM

im not sure about the 426 but for the 450 at the general section of the factory service manual (specifically, maintenance specifications) it will list all bolt sizes for most items, qty, and tq specs.

http://www.yamaha-mo...uals/index.aspx

there is a link for a manual. for future reference that link (and also another) can be found at the very bottom of the sticky "common mods, problems and faqs" sticky here on the yz450/426 thread.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 23, 2012 - 05:11 AM

The parts fiche may help. Most of the part numbers of the case screws will tell you the length of the bolt in millimeters. For example, the part number, 95027-06030-00 is a 6mm bolt, 30mm long. The info is in the center set of numbers. Unfortunately, that system isn't applied consistently with all of them, but it is with quite a few.

If you sorted your bolts into separated sets as you disassembled, it should be pretty easy. What you're looking for is a fairly uniform amount of thread engagement per each fastener. That means that as you drop the bolts into their holes, the heads of all of them should be about the same distance above the cover surface before you tighten them. Going by this will usually keep you out of any sort of trouble.

• cowboyona426

Posted October 23, 2012 - 07:14 AM

I'm too anal retentive... when I disassemble something I make sure to somehow track what bolts came from where. I bought this bike partially disassembled and everything was just thrown in one big box- bolts, parts, etc. I'll just have to spend a little time and try to figure it out as best I can.

• grayracer513

Posted October 23, 2012 - 08:34 AM

Funny, because one of my first jobs as a professional MC wrench was to put together a Matchless 500cc single from a box or two of bulk loose parts. That would have been a fairly good challenge as it was except for the fact that I had never seen the insides of one before that, and was almost completely unfamiliar with the engine. But the boss was sympathetic; he gave me one to tear down and look at. No manual, sorry.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.