Can I slide the forks up (and how far) on the 2012 YZF 450?

5 replies to this topic
  • broncomoto

Posted October 22, 2012 - 03:52 PM

Can I slide the forks up (and how far) on the 2012 YZF 450? Bronco

• bigj450

Posted October 23, 2012 - 02:22 AM

i got mine slid up 5mm, dont see why ya couldnt go further, depends wat ya lookin for i guess

• YamaLink

Posted October 23, 2012 - 05:31 AM

As stated, depends what you're looking for. Make sure rear sag is set first before fine tuning the fork height.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 23, 2012 - 05:53 AM

The limit to how far you can move the fork up in the clamp is defined by the outer fork tube. Looking at the portion that fits into the clamps, you'll see how far below the clamp the area machined to match the clamp extends. When they've moved up to the end of that, that's the limit. You may also find that contact with the handlebars may limit the upward movement.

There are two lines scribed on the tops of the tubes, 5 and 10mm from the top. Use these for reference, or measure them to match. Having both of them absolutely matching is not critical beyond a couple of millimeters, but get them close to the same height. I run mine up 14mm, but it's an '06.

• dfinn

Posted October 23, 2012 - 09:19 AM

can't hurt to play with it (what she said) but I've read/heard several things that seem to say that this bike rides best with the forks flush with the top crown.

http://www.racerxonl...ace-tech-yz450f

http://motocrossacti...FFLER-8474.aspx

• Stu2

Posted October 24, 2012 - 02:16 AM

Mine is best with the forks flush, if its turning your looking for, make sure your bars are in the forward position, makes all the difference

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.