06 Yz 450 clutch issue

6 replies to this topic
  • sandrider306

Posted October 20, 2012 - 08:06 PM

Just installed hinson clutch plate kit on yz450 oem hub basket and pressure plate I pretty much have the cable adjusters all the way out on both cable and perch I noticed the hinson springs were longer than the stock springs any input would be appreciated

• grayracer513

Posted October 21, 2012 - 07:53 AM

Sounds like the plate stack is thicket than OEM specs, or near the max. As the clutch wears in, you will loose cable clearance and have to back the adjusters off in order to maintain the correct amount of slack, so as long as it works alright now, you should be OK as things progress.

• sandrider306

Posted October 21, 2012 - 08:04 AM

So since they are all the way out as it wears your saying that ill be able to turn in the cables or just replace the cable as the clutch wears because I pretty much have the adjusters all the way out without any slack in the cable I had to do it just to get the bike not to stall when put in gear

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 21, 2012 - 11:31 AM

Ride the bike for an hour while keeping a constant eye the cable slack. It should stop dragging soon. Riding without free play in the cable is like riding with the lever part way pulled in. Very bad for the clutch.

• sandrider306

Posted October 23, 2012 - 04:29 PM

Ok so I called hinson up they seem to think my pressure plate is causing it so I swapped back to the original and still the same issue I swear its the springs because the hinsons springs are longer than the stock ones so maybe ill switch them out and see if that's the issue your input has been great so far oh I forgot when I shift the bike into first I can get it to go but can feel it drag big time but going from first to second it won't go

• grayracer513

Posted October 24, 2012 - 06:28 AM

The springs could be the problem if they are coil binding as the pressure plate lifts. I don't believe in aftermarket springs for the most part.

• sandrider306

Posted November 26, 2012 - 09:29 PM

Well thanks for the info come to find out one of my steel plates was bent all to hell I called hinson and they were awesome sent me out a steel plate and solved my problem

Well thanks for the info come to find out one of my steel plates was bent all to hell I called hinson and they were awesome sent me out a steel plate and solved my problem

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.