De-Comp Lever Question

12 replies to this topic
  • scottzx7rr

Posted October 16, 2001 - 10:39 PM

Just wondering if there is a company that makes a replacement lever for the YZ. Besides the GYT-R thumb activated, the BRP Billet one and the OEM. I had a fly-away Trailrider bike hit mine last weekend and broke the lever. So I priced a replacement from BRP and it was over $150, the GYT-R and OEM are out of stock so I can't get another for a couple of weeks which I need for a race this week and Lorretta Lynn Ride next weekend. Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
Scott #410
Some Fear Racing "Cause if you don't have any you ain't going fast enough"
'99 YZ400F(Coming to a Theater near you soon)
'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR
"Doesn't hurt till the bone is exposed"
"When cut do you bleed green? I do!"
Pics

• yzernie

Posted October 17, 2001 - 02:59 AM

Scott,

Try Works Connection or get ahold of my buddies at http://www.yocracing.com

Tell them I told you to call.

Ernie

------------------
--Life is too short, work hard...play hard--
Sponsored by Yamaha of Cucamonga, Larry Roeseler's Stroker Fourstroke Speed Equipment and Answer Racing, yzernie@dirtracers.com

• Ramrod

Posted October 17, 2001 - 03:13 AM

Do you guys run your decompression lever up or down? Mine came in the up position from the dealer, but I notice that Ferry and other racers have them pointed down.
Up or down?

• Scott_F

Posted October 17, 2001 - 04:25 AM

I run a combo clutch/comp lever from the XR650R. It is very light and trick. The comp lever tucks in well. A replica is available from Flanders.

• Glen_T

Posted October 17, 2001 - 04:33 AM

Ramrod, I run my decomp lever down with no problems with it in that position.

• DPW

Posted October 17, 2001 - 07:45 AM

I run my decomp lever in the down position also. No problems either.

'99 YZ400F

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ramrod

Posted October 17, 2001 - 07:47 AM

Thanks guys, I take it the real reason you run the lever down is so when you dump the bike the lever isn't compressed with the engine running (ouch!)

Obviously, this is the recommended position.

• RetroThumper

Posted October 17, 2001 - 09:55 PM

Might also try http://www.PowerSportsPro.com
for OEM part, they might have it in stock! And, always run the lever below the bar, not on top! If it opens in a crash with your throttle wide open, you're in for a very expensive experience....

• JBM

Posted October 17, 2001 - 12:05 PM

I also run mine in the down position. You could also try www.motoworldracing.com . They have oem parts and the service is good.

• Hick

Posted October 17, 2001 - 01:16 PM

Originally posted by RetroThumper:
And, always run the lever below the bar, not on top! If it opens in a crash with your throttle wide open, you're in for a very expensive experience....

I really doubt that. Open the decomp, motor dies, end of story. This may not be true for other bikes but on my YZ the piston will not, and cannot hit the valve with the release engaged.

Having said that, I’m not about to open the throttle in neutral and then the decomp a few seconds later to see what happens. But I do use it to bump start, and even tried it on a few long downhills to see how it affected engine braking.

Believe it or not it increases it, I didn’t believe it which is why I had to try it. Probably only got up to four or five thousand rpms, but nothing ran into anything in there after a minute or so with the lever pulled.

• scottzx7rr

Posted October 17, 2001 - 05:04 PM

I appreciate the advice. I was lucky to find one at a local dealer. So I will be able to race this weekend. I had my sponsor order me the thumb one from GYT-R as it is the one that I wanted.

I also run my in the down position as it is the easiest to get to when in gear and need to start fast.

------------------
Scott #410
Some Fear Racing "Cause if you don't have any you ain't going fast enough"
'99 YZ400F(Coming to a Theater near you soon)
'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR
"Doesn't hurt till the bone is exposed"
"When cut do you bleed green? I do!"
Pics

• Itsamre

Posted October 22, 2001 - 08:10 PM

"If it opens in a crash with your throttle
wide open, you're in for a very expensive
experience...." Yaa I always seem to get the throttle stuck in the dirt and the bike revving to the moon AND then the bike jumps up and falls onto the other side with the throttle still WFO and lands on the compression relese... yup happens all the time to me. And I for one am very happy when that happens all the time that IT SIMPLY STOPS THE MOTOR, and I can just stand there with my jaw on the ground in awe with wonder as to how it keeps "doing" that trick over and over andover!!! GET REAL WILL YA?

------------------
Mark...00 426 w/plates,and $4000.00 of other attachments!

• Sanch

Posted October 23, 2001 - 02:45 AM

When I got my '99 YZ400F, the decompression lever, cable and bracket were removed. Why I can't imagine, but it was too expensive replace it all. So I purchased the cable from the dealer and bought a small lever with a bracket from the a bicycle shop for $10. I've gone down more times than I want to admit, and it hasn't broken yet. For $10, I don't mind having to replace it if the day comes...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.