"Smart Carb" ?

22 replies to this topic
  • Bandit9

Posted November 08, 2012 - 07:34 PM

On my 06, I measured out to about 46 mpg Dual Sporting on a relatively flat road. 5 th gear just chugging at 45 mph. Haven't checked the 09 yet since the rejet, AP spring, and YZ Exhaust. But I did accidentally go about 205 miles on a 3.6gal tank with the crazy lean stock jetting and exhaust. All cruising at 40-45mph mode, 50/50 mix asphalt and hardpacked dirt, which is probably the most efficient way for it. I know that racing an enduro I get about 25mpg.

There are a ton of variables involved. Jetting, tire pressure, extra weight being carried, hills to climb?, gearing, how you apply the throttle, quality of gas, etc....

I expect to get around 40mpg with 09, b/c I have it snarlin' a bit more that the 06. Although I will be trying a 48 tooth rear sprocket, which should have it turning less RPM at my 45mph cruise speed.

Edited by Bandit9, November 08, 2012 - 07:35 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miweber929

Posted November 09, 2012 - 04:42 AM

It is interesting to hear that a few WR450's get decent gas milage. I would sure like to know what the difference is.... :excuseme:

An apples to apples fuel mileage compare between two bikes in two different areas is almost impossible. And after scouring forums for 10+ years now the 1 (actually 2) things I learned are when it comes to fuel mileage (and oil issurs) and 95% of respondents give a number or have an experience that's plausible, and one person chimes in with something totally different, there is a factor at play that never gets mentioned.

It's usually called the "Internet fudge factor".

Not saying it isn't true, but there was someone years ago on the VFR forums who used to brag his 91 VFR got 65mpg which normal on the 90-93's were 45-50. We found out a) he rejetted it so lean it would glow the head pipes and B) he'd ride in 6th at 30mph or above and his commute was 100% flat and 5miles long with no stops. So it's not a "normal" situation.

Your bike from what I remember reading gets around the upper 20's or mid 30's for mpg right? That's normal for a properly jetted, knobby tired WR. Off road at WOT is less, of course.

• GlennR

Posted November 09, 2012 - 04:36 PM

An apples to apples fuel mileage compare between two bikes in two different areas is almost impossible. And after scouring forums for 10+ years now the 1 (actually 2) things I learned are when it comes to fuel mileage (and oil issurs) and 95% of respondents give a number or have an experience that's plausible, and one person chimes in with something totally different, there is a factor at play that never gets mentioned.

It's usually called the "Internet fudge factor".

Not saying it isn't true, but there was someone years ago on the VFR forums who used to brag his 91 VFR got 65mpg which normal on the 90-93's were 45-50. We found out a) he rejetted it so lean it would glow the head pipes and B) he'd ride in 6th at 30mph or above and his commute was 100% flat and 5miles long with no stops. So it's not a "normal" situation.

Your bike from what I remember reading gets around the upper 20's or mid 30's for mpg right? That's normal for a properly jetted, knobby tired WR. Off road at WOT is less, of course.

I totally agree with the internet fudge factor. My bike's gotten a low of 28 on really steep slow riding, but only averages about 30 on normal trail riding with about 20-50% roads.

I mentioned my milage to a Yamaha mechanic yesterday, and he was also surprised it wasn't closer to 40 mpg. He said I should probably try a middle jet that's 2 sizes smaller, and also check to be sure that the fuel/air mix screw is unplugged and adjusted out about 3 turns. He said that they are too lean from the factory and that can cause it to get poorer mpg's (although he said that "sounds" backwards).

I don't know if his advice is correct, but it sounds simple enough to try.

I have a busy winter of mechanic work ahead of me...
But as long as the weather's nice I'll just keep on riding "whatever runs"! LOL

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.