2012 YZ450F oil change, filter element

5 replies to this topic
  • tomjoens

Posted October 17, 2012 - 08:07 PM

I changed my oil for the first time on my 2012 yz450f and the oil filter fell out into the bucket while I was taking the cover off. I threw the bucket away and didn't check if the was a spring inside the filter. I didn't see if there was a spring in it the filter and if the is no spring which way does the filter go back in.

1. Is there a spring?
2. What way dose the filter go in, does it go in with the hole in the filter towards the motor and away from the cover?

• tommyr21

Posted October 17, 2012 - 11:07 PM

no spring, and hole towards the motor.... correct?? i hope so, because thats the way ive been doing it

• grayracer513

Posted October 18, 2012 - 06:10 AM

There is no spring. The element should hold the cover slightly off the face of the case cover until it'd bolted down. I would expect that the filter can only be inserted with the hole toward the engine because of a safety tab similar to the one on the '98-'09 models (in which the filter goes the other way, hole out).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tomjoens

Posted October 18, 2012 - 09:59 AM

Also i am new to this but will be using way more often i don't really now how to work this post and reply stuff or to be able to look at my replys. do they take some time to post after i send them

• tomjoens

Posted October 18, 2012 - 10:01 AM

Also the dealer told me that the open end of the filter goes towards the motor and that the closed end goes to the cover. He also told me that there is no spring that goes in the filter.

• grayracer513

Posted October 18, 2012 - 02:54 PM

Would you look at that....

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.