Skid Plates, Which one to get?

30 replies to this topic
  • joaquin1296

Posted October 23, 2012 - 10:14 PM

I think it's important that it has holes, so it's easier to clean.

• HRC

Posted October 26, 2012 - 08:55 PM

Ive had the lightspeed carbon plate for 2 season now, +120 hours and it has holed up really good. No cracks, and protects really good.

The only complaints I have is all the mud it collects and its hard to get out with out removing the plate.

• 71dafonz

Posted October 28, 2012 - 09:42 PM

used to be an alluminum guy but a buddy turned me on to a CYCRA and i gotta say i love it looks bitchin and its super easy to install. also super durable.

• cereal killer

Posted October 29, 2012 - 06:49 AM

Are these plastic ones really that tough? I'm pretty hard on my skid plate. I've bent it slightly, folded the "wing" in a bit on one side, even ripped it off once on an endurocross course (hit the side against a big boulder in the rock garden and pulled the bolts out). At this point the whole plate is peppered with small divots and gouges. I've beefed up the mounting points and bent it back into shape, but I have contemplated purchasing a new one. The one I have is the GYTR aluminum (for my '08 yz450f). Have yet to damage anything on the bike (well, except the bolt holes), but the plate is pretty beat up looking...

Intuitively, it seems like having some flex in the plate would be a good idea. On the other hand, I'm not sure how well a plastic plate would survive a direct hit against a sharp-edged rock. Say if I hit a sharp point right in the middle, in-between the frame rails.

I'm curious, in what conditions are you using these plates? If it's for MX or casual trail riding, it seems like they would be more than sufficient. Just not sure yet if I trust them for the type of riding I'm doing.

• chouca222

Posted November 01, 2012 - 04:41 AM

I have the enduro GYTR ones. Excellent protection of the waterpump and the crankcase.

http://www.capitolya..._ENDURO_SKI.htm

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • STR8SHOOTR

Posted November 01, 2012 - 12:54 PM

used to be an alluminum guy but a buddy turned me on to a CYCRA and i gotta say i love it looks bitchin and its super easy to install. also super durable.

I still havent ordered a skid yet, but the CYCRA is the one I was thinking of getting. What kind of hits has yours took?

• rhinoracin

Posted November 02, 2012 - 10:40 AM

Cycra full plastic skid plate is a new product for the 10-12 450s, and they're coming out with the 06-09 version this month they said...I've been trying to get one for my 09.
Moose also has a nice plastic skid plate, but it costs a lot more.

• oldhack

Posted November 03, 2012 - 06:23 AM

I personally like the plastic cycra plate that is held on with cable ties. It does not effect frame flex and is easy to remove for servicing.

• Jonnoh

Posted November 03, 2012 - 08:48 AM

On my '11 yz 450 I have the works connection full protection skid plate that comes with the holes already drilled ( draining, air, less weight) and it has their RIMS system which has rubber mounts so it allows the frame flex like plastic. Looks great and works great.

The plastic ones have come a long way. I'm going to get one for my ktm dual sport as the POS aluminum flatland racing one is falling apart.

The problem with the 09-13 yz 450's is that you don't have the header pipe to protect your radiator hose. Not a big deal for mx, but it is super exposed for a manzanita puncture off road. The full skid plates protect the water pump, but not the hose or junction. Check out Whib's bike. He has custom protection for this area...... At least my header can't get smashed.

-jon

• STR8SHOOTR

Posted November 14, 2012 - 08:54 AM

I ended up getting the Moose Plastic skid plate. It covers everything and it looks strong as hell.

• Yzf_Buz

Posted November 29, 2012 - 12:27 PM

Scorpion Designs.......best ones made. Carbonfiber turns into hay as soon as it touches a sharp rock. TM designs would be my second choice.

+1 I went with the Scorpion, better than All the Rest....

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.