Skid Plates, Which one to get?

30 replies to this topic

Posted October 16, 2012 - 04:24 PM

I'm looking to get a skid plate. I'm undecided if I should go carbon fiber of aluminum? I think i am swaying towards the LightSpeed CF. What do you guys have and do you like um?

I have a 2006 yz450f

Edited by STR8SHOOTR, October 16, 2012 - 04:25 PM.

• 79yamdt

Posted October 16, 2012 - 04:31 PM

A nice thick aluminum one. If your just racing the CF might be nice. Where I ride nice skidplates are a must on quads and bikes and I don't see too many carbon fiber ones. I'm not sure if it's the price or the durability that makes them less popular in my area.

• swingset

Posted October 16, 2012 - 04:47 PM

I'd go with the heavy plastic ones, myself. Less noisy, they slide better, they deflect instead of crack.

• happy seal

Posted October 16, 2012 - 05:17 PM

I'd go with the heavy plastic ones, myself. Less noisy, they slide better, they deflect instead of crack.

I never did agree with this until recently. I bought a heavy plastic one for My Beta and it is the best. Flexes and glides over trees. It's quite and won't rust or dent.. I love it!

• peski111

Posted October 16, 2012 - 05:24 PM

using the aluminum Works Connection plate. it covers from behind the oil pan, all the way up to the top of the oil tank. Was very worried that a rock was gonna hit the oil tank and punch a hole in it. Bike is 08 yz250f

• DaveCR

Posted October 16, 2012 - 05:26 PM

Check out TM Designworks or Hyde Development plates. They're both HD plastic that get good reviews. CF plates are pretty nice and probably ok in Florida, but in rocky areas they don't last long.

Posted October 16, 2012 - 06:00 PM

Yeah, I love the way the CF looks but the price a the actual durability is what im worried about. I'll look into the heavy plastics.

• Monk

Posted October 16, 2012 - 06:05 PM

Scorpion ones made. Carbonfiber turns into hay as soon as it touches a sharp rock. TM designs would be my second choice.

• Lelandjt

Posted October 16, 2012 - 06:13 PM

For KTMs there's a quick release plastic one in their Hardparts catalog. Is there something like that for other bikes? Compared the aluminum one I had on a Yamaha this has no effect on frame flex or noise and comes on and off easily for cleaning and oil changes.

• CBus660R

Posted October 16, 2012 - 06:40 PM

I'm with the rest, aluminum or plastic. I'd only consider a CF glide plate for MX use, and even then, that's if you've got spare $$$ laying around since it won't be as durable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CR250_182

Posted October 16, 2012 - 06:50 PM

I LOVE my Carbon Fiber skid plate! I've had it for at least 3 years and it's taken hits from rocks and it's still strong!

• WouldsAssassin

Posted October 19, 2012 - 08:01 AM

Cycra makes a full coverage plastic plate. I just put one on my '11. Can't say I've tested it yet but their handgaurds are a great product.

Posted October 19, 2012 - 03:21 PM

I'm gonna go with a hard plastic, This weekend on the trail gonna check out a few on different bikes before I make my final desicion

• FinchFan194

Posted October 19, 2012 - 03:49 PM

The TM sounds like a great product, everything else they make is top notch.

Posted October 20, 2012 - 06:04 AM

Yeah, I been thinking the same thing.

• FinchFan194

Posted October 20, 2012 - 08:31 AM

Yeah, I been thinking the same thing.

I have a GYT-R and it is a hunk of junk, need to replace it with a full coverage as it is only a glide plate.

• Lelandjt

Posted October 21, 2012 - 10:03 PM

But it's just a glide plate and doesn't extend outside of the frame rails to protect the waterpump, clutch and ignition covers, ect. i like a little protection on the sides for trail riding. My KTM plastic plate shows lots of scars there.

• dfinn

Posted October 23, 2012 - 09:20 AM

has anyone tried the acerbis skid plate? I can get a deal through them but I haven't heard much good or bad about it.

• poppa

Posted October 23, 2012 - 01:05 PM

we've had good luck with the moose skid plate. my son treats them like an anvil on the rocks and trees, haven't broke one yet or a side cover exept sticking the shifter through the mag cover, wasn't the skid plate fault. I do drill some drain/air holes in them and they still hold up.

• grayracer513

Posted October 23, 2012 - 01:23 PM

I've used the same, beat up Devol plate on my desert bike for the last 4 years or so, no problems. The side wings look a bit short, but they do protect things pretty well. Good piece, fair price.

Scorpion full plates look like the best bet for the money.

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.