Tire sizes "mumbo-jumbo"?

34 replies to this topic
  • GlennR

Posted October 16, 2012 - 04:05 AM

I want a big bad rear tire that will always take me to the top of the hill, instead of clogging up and spinning out somewhere before the top.

Been readin' and looking at pretty tire photos, and reading reviews....

I looks like the IRC M5B is the Beast that I'm looking for. But I'm not certain what sizes will fit my 08'. The manual calls for a 110/100-18 64M , but tires rarely come in the exact sizes called for...

The IRC M5B is available in a 110/80-18 , a 120/80-18, a 130/80-18, 140/80-18 ,and a couple other diameters.

I think the 110/80-18 is the best fit, but maybe not.

Which of these sizes will fit the WR450? Which is closest to stock? Which size would you chose, if not the stock size, and "why"?

Also have you tried this tire? What's your favorite tire for getting up big loose and/or muddy hills?

• n16ht5

Posted October 16, 2012 - 05:15 AM

Get a Dunlop D739. Its the best big bad tire I have found. 120/100 size fits just right. Run 3 psi and it is like a gumbo mudder. I run 0.5-1psi with Tubliss

Posted Image

• travertt

Posted October 16, 2012 - 10:14 AM

Any tire can/will clog up given enough of the right kind of mud.

I spend a fair bit of time in nasty muddy wallows and on a previous bike I had an extra wide/big rear tire and I found it was so "fat" that it tended to wallow and slide around in the goop instead of carving its way through.....and it still clogged up just like any other tire. So just a word of caution (at least from my experience)...in this scenario I'm not sure bigger is better.

I currently run a Maxxis IT in the stock size of 110/100/18 on my '04 and it is a definite improvement over my previous experience with an extra fat/wide rear tire.

Like n16ht5 said... 3 PSI and Tubeless sounds like it would give you lots of hookup....but it will cost you $$$$.

• woods-rider

Posted October 16, 2012 - 10:30 AM

Any tire can/will clog up given enough of the right kind of mud.

I spend a fair bit of time in nasty muddy wallows and on a previous bike I had an extra wide/big rear tire and I found it was so "fat" that it tended to wallow and slide around in the goop instead of carving its way through.....and it still clogged up just like any other tire. So just a word of caution (at least from my experience)...in this scenario I'm not sure bigger is better.

I currently run a Maxxis IT in the stock size of 110/100/18 on my '04 and it is a definite improvement over my previous experience with an extra fat/wide rear tire.

Like n16ht5 said... 3 PSI and Tubeless sounds like it would give you lots of hookup....but it will cost you $$$$.

n16ht5 said 0.5-1 psi with Tubliss. I also have tubliss, but can't bring myself to run that low, I am more in the 3-5 psi range.

A 120 is about as wide as you want to go, any wider and the chain starts to hit the tire and rip off the side knobs.

Edited by woods-rider, October 16, 2012 - 10:31 AM.

• n16ht5

Posted October 16, 2012 - 11:59 AM

I run the Maxxis Desert IT for dual sport rides as it is cheaper to burn up than the D739. 120/100. You really need the low low PSI to get traction from desert tires.

• bg10459

Posted October 16, 2012 - 12:09 PM

I hated the D739; it's a hard conditions tire. I didn't really like the Maxxis IT, either, but it's not so bad and it does last nearly forever. IMO, a better all conditions tire is the Pirelli MT16, but it does lack a bit when the mud gets thick. The M5B is a beast, but it chunks knobs very quickly in rocks or harder terrain. If you're riding lots of mud and softer conditions, it's a good tire. Every tire is a trade off, though. For a WR450, I'd go with a 120 width.

• MANIAC998

Posted October 17, 2012 - 02:57 AM

I hated the D739; it's a hard conditions tire. I didn't really like the Maxxis IT, either, but it's not so bad and it does last nearly forever. IMO, a better all conditions tire is the Pirelli MT16, but it does lack a bit when the mud gets thick. The M5B is a beast, but it chunks knobs very quickly in rocks or harder terrain. If you're riding lots of mud and softer conditions, it's a good tire. Every tire is a trade off, though. For a WR450, I'd go with a 120 width.

Interesting! I've used both the Maxxis IT & the MT16 Pirelli, and I didn't think it was any better than the Maxxis, and worse in corners as it had a tendancy to slide too much for my liking. I certainly didn't think it lasted as long as the Maxxis either, as this is where the Maxxis really shines, longevity. The Pirelli was slightly better in rocks though. Nice cushy sidewall allowed it to absorb rock hits and flow, so it climbed slightly better than the Maxxis. Tires truelly are a rider preference type thing!!!

• n16ht5

Posted October 17, 2012 - 07:28 AM

Interesting! I've used both the Maxxis IT & the MT16 Pirelli, and I didn't think it was any better than the Maxxis, and worse in corners as it had a tendancy to slide too much for my liking. I certainly didn't think it lasted as long as the Maxxis either, as this is where the Maxxis really shines, longevity. The Pirelli was slightly better in rocks though. Nice cushy sidewall allowed it to absorb rock hits and flow, so it climbed slightly better than the Maxxis. Tires truelly are a rider preference type thing!!!

If you don't like the IT or the D739 you haven't aired it down enough. I can just about climb walls with an IT or D739 at 1PSI.

• bg10459

Posted October 17, 2012 - 09:10 AM

If you don't like the IT or the D739 you haven't aired it down enough. I can just about climb walls with an IT or D739 at 1PSI.

I'll admit, it's been soooo long since I tried the 739 and I definitely didn't run less than 12 psi. I also didn't run the Maxxis very low at the time I remember not liking it, and then was sorta forced into using it again and using it at lower pressures, it wasn't as bad as I remembered. But now I've been riding MX a lot and those are the tires I remember. I love my Kenda Millvilles, but I'm sure they won't hold up offroad.

• jackcbr600

Posted October 17, 2012 - 11:10 AM

Does anyone not use rim locks? I was told not to on the road cause the wheel will jump around

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted October 19, 2012 - 03:58 PM

On the WR450 one of the best biggest tires for nasty hills is the 140/80 M5b. I also have used the 130/80

• GlennR

Posted October 19, 2012 - 06:43 PM

I ordered the 110/80 M5B, didn't know what would fit without rubbing the chain. Surprised to hear a 140/80 fits. How do tires that wide handle?

• n16ht5

Posted October 19, 2012 - 06:46 PM

I ordered the 110/80 M5B, didn't know what would fit without rubbing the chain. Surprised to hear a 140/80 fits. How do tires that wide handle?

fail

• Sierra_rider

Posted October 19, 2012 - 06:47 PM

I have the M5B in 120/80 on my KTM and it's pretty freakin' narrow. I'm pretty sure you could run the 130 or even the 140 and still be okay. The IRC's seem to run narrow for their listed size.

• GlennR

Posted October 20, 2012 - 04:18 AM

What's the advantage of running a very wide tire?

I'd always thought narrower tires dig in through the snow & mud better and grip the firm ground under the goop. And I wider tires weigh more, which would rob power.

• stevethe

Posted October 20, 2012 - 07:23 AM

Chain is fine with either. 130 handles a little better than the 140. 140 lasts a little longer. Don't know too much about digging in to mud. However the 140 with about 3 psi will give you the hook up for monster hill climbs.

• n16ht5

Posted October 21, 2012 - 07:51 AM

I'd always thought narrower tires dig in through the snow & mud better and grip the firm ground under the goop. And I wider tires weigh more, which would rob power.

I don't understand why you started this thread since you didn't listen to anyone and got the narrowest freakin tire out there.. FAIL

a 120/80 is for a 125cc

• MaxPower

Posted October 21, 2012 - 08:07 AM

I would have gotten the same size as you ordered Glenn. The M5B is a tire with some mud chucking knobs on it.The WR rim is wide and will let that tire sit nice in my opinion.
I used to run the rear wheel from my YZ125 in the woods(not a M5B). I could clearly notice the lighter weight (aluminum sprocket, normal tube, 100/19 tire) in the handling.And I didnt think I would. Now I wasnt riding big hill climbs but I was riding in South Jersey sand.And I found that tire to wear good also.

For myself, any weight added to my WR is bad. Unless its suitcase full of 20 dollars bills I found in the woods.

• n16ht5

Posted October 21, 2012 - 10:45 AM

I'd always thought narrower tires dig in through the snow ...

wider is better in snow. ask me how I know
Posted Image

• ColoradoDirtRider

Posted October 21, 2012 - 03:46 PM

I figured I bet not start a new thread as I also need some advice on tires. Now that we are approaching Winter I am going to keep my WR down here in Texas instead of Colorado. As you can see in the attached picture my D606 hasn't been doing very well with street duty and ill probably replace my front tire too. What tires can yall recommend I would go with a supermoto setup but as a highschool kid I just dont have to the money for that. I want a tire that I can really lean and carve the streets with and maybe a little dirt here and there (city power line trails). Thanks for all the help!

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.