07 YZ450 starting point

4 replies to this topic
  • bradboyd

Posted October 13, 2012 - 02:26 PM

Hi All,

I"ve just set my sag to 98mm & wieght is 205lbs, can you guys tell me a good starting point for my clickers? Is standard ok? I heard something about the rebound being too savage. I ride mainly trails (woods), rocks, ruts ect, and am c to b grade pace. (40y/o back into fun trail riding with my boys). Any advice apriciated.

Cheers Brad.

• Leedser

Posted October 22, 2012 - 04:03 PM

Brad,

I just got my 07' 450 Special Edition White, which only had 1 hour on it! Literally brand new 07.' I set my sag to 99-100mm according to my brother-in-laws measurement. I weigh 195 and used the stock clicker settings and they were perfect for me. I just went up to Durhamtown Plantation in Georgia where I mostly ride trails but a little track as well. The settings were great and the rebound was not an issue on fast trails.

Thinking about adding a GYTR Offroad 9 oz. flywheel for the tight stuff as it was a challenge not stalling it. Other than that the bike flys and did very well compared to the 07' CRF 250X that I traded for the YZ450. Except for tight stuff I have no regrets switching to the 450. I finally smoked my buddy's WR450 on the drag strip at Durhamtown after losing every race on my 250X.

Enjoy your Yammie!

Jon

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Leedser

Posted October 22, 2012 - 04:06 PM

Oh by the way I am 41 yr. old and got back into riding 5 years ago with my 9 year old son. Could not be a better sport to do with your kids!

• cereal killer

Posted October 22, 2012 - 04:46 PM

If you're just woods riding, try the settings from this thread: http://www.thumperta...om/topic/881673

That's pretty much the first thing to try, and not just the fork, either. 175 is within the range the bike was built for, so you shouldn't need springs. I weigh about that, and the stock rates work fine for me.

Back the fork compression all the way out to start with, and come out 2 turns or more on the shock HS comp. Back the rear LS comp out to at least 12-15, and set enough rebound to maintain control in rocky sections. Start from there and see what you want to do with it. Remember that the YZ is a purpose built MX bike, and doing stuff like backing off the fork compression that far wouldn't work unless it was.

This is what I started with and my settings are still pretty close. I run a bit more compression damping for endurocross, a bit less for really tight woods racing. Otherwise very similar.

• bradboyd

Posted October 24, 2012 - 05:52 PM

Thanks guys, I'll have a play.
Cheers Brad

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.