2 Stroke Guy lovin this WR450 , one prob though...

8 replies to this topic
  • avocasingletrack

Posted October 12, 2012 - 06:42 AM

Just got a WR450 (07 w/300mi) , I ride/Race a YZ125 and YZ250 , im a 2T guy buy I have to say this WR corners as good if not better than my beloved YZ125 ... and it's very nimble in flowing single track too . I'm having just one problem with it though... It seems it likes to stall occasionally , and it always does it at the most inopportune time !!!! Like right at the apex of a corner or halfway up a hill climb. It did it yesterday just as I was about to crest a hill. It gives out a loud "sneeze" or "cough" sound and locks up in a stall . It doesn't do this in every corner or every hil climb , but it happens enough that i'm apprehensive, and consequently not using the bike to full potential , fearing a high side or face plant after a stall . The bike has prolly ten rides on it, has 300+ miles, older guy had it. I heard that this bike is "lean" from the factory and going up one on the pilot can fix some of this. I also tried fanning the clutch more , no luck . Drained tank, Put fresh fuel, I cleaned the air filter . I've hated every 450 I ever rode but I just love this WR so any help with this stalling prob is greatly appreciated. Please only responses from owners who had the type prob or people who fixed this prob.

Thanks much in advance !

Edited by avocasingletrack, October 12, 2012 - 06:49 AM.

• woods-rider

Posted October 12, 2012 - 07:03 AM

You are on the right track. Do all the free mods. Remove intake snorkel, remove at least the small baffle in the exhaust tip, remova ais, replace throttle stop with YZ, cut grey wire, and then rejet.

• GuyGraham

Posted October 12, 2012 - 07:03 AM

you gotta uncork it, and rejet it to make it run right, and stop the stalling
Yes they are lean from the factory

• avocasingletrack

Posted October 12, 2012 - 07:21 AM

Great info. I got it for a practice bike because it's heavier but I didn't expect it to handle and corner so well though. Will those mods help with the stalling ? Im not looking to make more power , the power is fine, just wana minimize the stalling. Even feathering the clutch it still stalls.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pooley

Posted October 12, 2012 - 07:47 AM

I still ride the 01 WR426, but it sounds exactly like what mine used to do, because of the accelerator pump. Check up on how to adjust/modify the AP squirt and timing including the leak jet, also look into the O-ring mod. My carb doesn't have the leak jet, but after free mods, proper jetting, doing the O-ring mod (including shaving down the AP), the bike never stalls unless it is operator error.

• YamaLink

Posted October 12, 2012 - 08:55 AM

I think one reason the WR corners so well is the plushness and ability to stay in the rougher corners at certain speeds compared to the light and oft-times twitchey two strokes. Example, at Loretta Lynn's the 2 strokes haul the mail when the track is smoother in the early part of the day, but when the track looks like a bombed out runway the 4 strokes and their weight & suspension actually have an advantage. Of course this is all things being equal and stock.

• YHGEORGE

Posted October 12, 2012 - 09:10 AM

Great info. I got it for a practice bike because it's heavier but I didn't expect it to handle and corner so well though. Will those mods help with the stalling ? Im not looking to make more power , the power is fine, just wana minimize the stalling. Even feathering the clutch it still stalls.

All the mods are good and turn up the idle a little. A friend has one and I have never seen it stall in some real tough terrain. Those bikes are very capable and far underrated for enduro or HS use.

• markh1

Posted October 12, 2012 - 06:08 PM

Mine was doing the same thing and when i put a rekluse clutch in it made it worse. The fix was completely blocking the leak jet and doing the o ring mod on the carb now it is smooth as butter on the tough stuff and alot more crisp and responsive at low rpm with no flameout or stalls what so ever.

• MANIAC998

Posted October 12, 2012 - 06:18 PM

Yup. Get the jetting dialed in, and you won't believe it's the same bike!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.