2009 WR450 Shorts when start button pressed. Relay clicks, started does not engage. The display computer resets.

4 replies to this topic
  • JayAlien

Posted October 11, 2012 - 12:32 PM

I have had my bike sitting on a battery tender for a couple months. I went to e-start the bike it turned and turned no start. I did this for about 5 seconds. I gave in a quick 1/4 turn on the throttle, then pressed the start button. I heard a pop, the kind you hear when you short something. The started did not engage and the display computer reset (clock and everything went to default settings). Has anyone seen this before, it seems like something in the start circuit path has found it's way to ground.

• kawi380

Posted October 11, 2012 - 03:13 PM

Sounds like your battery is dead. I would replace the battery before you get too excited about anything else.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GuyGraham

Posted October 11, 2012 - 11:42 PM

Classic symptom of battery not giving enough power to turn over the engine

• Hurky

Posted October 15, 2012 - 09:49 AM

Yeah, that's typical if the battery cannot supply the necessary current, as the starter relay engages the voltage drop so much that the relay disengage and so on... a fast clicking sound is typical during this.

Try charging the battery with a real charger (not only a tender) but if the batt is already some time old it could be time for a new one...

• Corkster

Posted October 17, 2012 - 05:24 PM

Also check that your battery terminals are tight.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.