lazy man's fork oil change

3 replies to this topic
  • 426_Pilot

Posted October 15, 2001 - 02:52 AM

I need to change my fork oil, but I don't want to take them apart. The manual looks complex. If I'm not going to change my springs or seals etc. is there some brainless way for me to drain and refill (and also measure the height) my forks? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• yzernie

Posted October 15, 2001 - 03:43 AM

If you follow the directions in the manual, the change is not that hard. It would obviously take longer but at least you know you did it right!!

------------------
--Life is too short, work hard...play hard--
Sponsored by Yamaha of Cucamonga, Larry Roeseler's Stroker Fourstroke Speed Equipment and Answer Racing, yzernie@dirtracers.com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chris_Slade

Posted October 15, 2001 - 06:16 PM

1) Break the top caps loose using appropriate Box wench, cresent wrench, or imact hammer (lightly!)
2)Remove legs
3)Un-do top caps completely
4)REMOVE top caps. (requires two people and a few wenches usually. the top cap and a nut are jammed together unside of the spring.)
5) Pull out spring, and rod if necessary. Watch for small parts under the rod. Keeping in rod is nice, but can make draining tough.
6) Drain oil. Turn forks upside down, and work up and down ALOT. Move inner mechanism, and outer tube. (ALOT)
7) If time and cleanliness allow, turn upside down and let drain overnight.
8) Put all rods and other things back in (assuming you took them out)
9) Fill the fork FULL WITH OIL, very tip top!
10) Work inner mechanism (watch oil will spurt if main hole not covered!! Rod makes this difficult) Work outter tube up and down (ALOT!!!!!!!!)
11) Re-fill with oil to the VERY TIP TOP. Allow to sit for an hour or so if cleanliness allows.
12) Take a Windex Bottle, remove the sprayer. USe math and common sense to figure out how many mm's of oil you want removed. (if you want set at 150mm, put a piece of black tape at the 150mm mark from bottom of Sprayer tube)
13) Stick the sprayer in the fork, and spray till your hand falls off. (also good hand workout, help prevent hand pump Posted Image ) Keep the black tape's bottom edge at the tip top of the fork outter tube.
14) WHen oil stops spraying out, you're set, relatively close!
15) Re-assemble forks, and YOURE DONE!!!

Average working time.....1.5 hours for me. Total time, without setting overnight to drain, usually about 3-4 hours.

------------------
'01 KTM 520 SX
'95 KX 250 FOR SALE!!! -asking $2000 with decent amount of plastics/decals, parts!!
AMA Dist 6 Member
Hare Scramble Class B #523

• MX_Tuner

Posted October 16, 2001 - 02:21 PM

Chris, at that point you're only one fastener away from doing it right. Remove the compression adjuster and the cartridge comes right out. Then you can rinse everything out with aerosol brake cleaner.

------------------
MX Tuner

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.