Check out the XR400 forum

18 replies to this topic
  • yamaharichey

Posted November 10, 2003 - 03:35 PM

Last week I was sitting around cause of the snow, so I thought I'd go over and harass those die hard XR400 guys. Check it out, its called "You have to kick your bikes to start them??" Its pretty entertaining. Its so fun to harass non Yamaha guys, they just don't get it, that Yamaha rules.

• SMD

Posted November 10, 2003 - 07:11 PM

Thanks.........but no need to check out the girly bike forum :)

• MiniMadMan50

Posted November 10, 2003 - 07:20 PM

What's an XR? I think I might have seen that stamped on a guys seat that I was passing. He was going slow it was hard to tell :) For all I know it could have said DRZ :D

• Math

Posted November 10, 2003 - 09:15 PM

My partner was riding a XR4. As soon as I got the WR he bought the XR650r. Those red guys never give up! :)

Very funny! :D

• John_H

Posted November 10, 2003 - 11:07 PM

they say, "hire the handicap, they're fun to watch." XR's are a bit handicapped, although the CRF's kick some ass. :)

• FasterThanY0u

Posted November 11, 2003 - 02:53 AM

Let's see how long your Yamaha runs without a radiator. :D

The XR400R is not a bad bike, it's just not in the same league. Having had both the XR400 and the WR400 I can say that the XR has it's redeaming qualities.

Would you run your YZ/WR (or CRF) for two full desert races between oil changes? The XR400R would do it, and it wouldn't lose a drop of oil, or darken it at all.

How about trying to start your YZ/WR after your buddy pumps your dead-engine throttle a dozen+ times. Not a problem with the XR400R. I can start my XR400R quickly on it's worst flooded moment. I've pulled hole-shots in dead-engine-start desert races in the expert class on my old XR400R (only to be passed on the first long straight by a WR.) :D

The XR650R - What a heavy pig waste!! Better get a WR!! :)
:D

• Carlisle1972

Posted November 11, 2003 - 06:04 AM

After havin two Yamahas and bolth bikes disentigrating from within 01 yzf426 and a wr250 :) and two ktm's one 400 and a 250 exc and major problems on pumpkins. I will never own anything else other than a Honda my xr650r is the most fun and fastest machine I have ever ridden, when dialed in correctly it is brutally fast in all conditions even tight woods. I have pulled out more wrs than anything, In 25 years of riding I cannot remember one xr not making it back, yes they are not the fastest bike but in the right hands they are competitive. XR200's have even won enduros yes it was 86 but there were still 125's. Man just look through your forum people are thinking about writting letters to Yamaha, not the bike I would want in the middle of The Utah desert on a 120 mile loop. How do you even sleep at night I would be worried that my bike made of metals and alloys equal to balsa wood wood break over night. I have a buddies in my garage right now and Im afraid to touch it because of some key thing that might break Im not ever ridding it. Lets just ride together You will have better things to say about XR's when they pull you back to camp after passing you with the sensation of a earth quake that pops you off your smurf faster than you can say "what the".Ill even lend you one of mine so you can strap on an extra one and take it for a ride :D I think Wr's are great if you can afford to replace major parts and enjoy ridding around camp in walking distance. If you ride with me Ill bring the tow strap you bring the budweiser. Your gonna owe me!

• Math

Posted November 11, 2003 - 09:48 AM

Let's see how long your Yamaha runs without a radiator

Yeah and try to ride your XR4 without the fuel tank :)? What's that all about? Rads are not so fragile with devols. You almost have to hit a tree from the side to dammage them. Then what are you trying to convince you about? That you are some kind of hot rider that you are always top end, always jumping rivers and logging trees with your bike? :D I'd say your legs will break well before a rad so stop bringing back this funny rad talk. :D
Wanna talk about bullet proof? Have a look at the size of the forks, frame, swingarm and then tell me what's built tough and what is not... :D

The XR400R is not a bad bike, it's just not in the same league. Having had both the XR400 and the WR400 I can say that the XR has it's redeaming qualities.

Well said :D

Would you run your YZ/WR (or CRF) for two full desert races between oil changes? The XR400R would do it, and it wouldn't lose a drop of oil, or darken it at all.

True but the problem is that you might end up in last position :D

How about trying to start your YZ/WR after your buddy pumps your dead-engine throttle a dozen+ times. Not a problem with the XR400R. I can start my XR400R quickly on it's worst flooded moment. I've pulled hole-shots in dead-engine-start desert races in the expert class on my old XR400R (only to be passed on the first long straight by a WR.)

I've never kicked my WR like my partner kicked is XR4 whatever the conditions. If WR riders don't know how to start their bike, it is not a bike problem.

Your XR4 is bullet proof and is a good bike to my opinion. There is no need for you guys to discredit yourselves saying wrong things about the blue beasts.

I love to ride with honda guys!So let's cheer up and ride :D :D

• yamaharichey

Posted November 11, 2003 - 12:33 PM

Correct me if I'am wrong, but didn't Yamaha just win the National Cross Country Series and the National Hare Scrambles series and the National Hare & Hound series. I think that speaks pretty well for its off road prowess and reliability. And as far as radiators go all I can say is welcome to the 21st century,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FasterThanY0u

Posted November 11, 2003 - 12:41 PM

Are your radiators really needed? My CR500R was run once in a desert race for 40+ miles hard until I finished. BEsides some coughing os the sand-dune climbs, it didn't lose any realy power.

One of my ATK605's is putting out 65 hp at the back wheel. All it has is a high compression piston, and a cleaned-up head. It hits the rev-limiter at 107mph at the top of fifth gear without hesitation.

There's a shop in Akron, Ohio called TLC racing. They pump up that "old" Rotax motor to put out 75 HP dependably, without losing a drop of oil. I know some of ther Pro flat trackers, and they don't do anything to those motors during the season except change the timing belt and the oil. A timing belt takes 2 minutes to replace.

Water cooling may not be necessary with today's metalurgical engineereing. It's be nice to see a Yamathumper without radiators, putting out more horsepower, and weighing less.

• dale

Posted November 11, 2003 - 02:40 PM

It's a waste of this forum arguing over something like this. It's the rider, not the bike that wins a race.

• ill_caper

Posted November 11, 2003 - 03:33 PM

My Pig blew the countershaft and blew the clutch bushing and almost killed me while on the road. I got rid of it an got a reliable and much more powerful WR450. I THOUGHT XRs were reliable too. Every bike has its problems. Dont lie to yourself.

• bigc

Posted November 11, 2003 - 07:48 PM

ARE THE NEWER XR'S WATERCOOLED? :)

• ill_caper

Posted November 11, 2003 - 08:18 PM

The xr 650r is. I used to own it. Its a great bike but completely differant than the WR

• Math

Posted November 12, 2003 - 04:04 PM

It's a waste of this forum arguing over something like this. It's the rider, not the bike that wins a race.

Right. But at least you have to have a bike that is reliable enough to finish... In this field, the WR proved good this year.

My partner used to ride the XR4 faster than I could ride the WR...He is faster on the WR though.

• Alabama_Rider

Posted November 12, 2003 - 10:51 PM

The difference between the XR400 and WR450 comes down to 2 things. 1. what terrain your riding - tight favors the XR - open the WR, 2, The rider....

• dubious

Posted November 22, 2003 - 09:23 AM

How about trying to start your YZ/WR after your buddy pumps your dead-engine throttle a dozen+ times. Not a problem with the XR400R. I can start my XR400R quickly on it's worst flooded moment.

[/QUOTE]
Every bike has it's downfalls.
Although it may not need a radiator an xr400 SHOULD have it's oil changed MORE often than the liqiud cooled bikes cause the air cooled ones actually run hotter and therfor degrade the oil quicker if ran equally as hard- which it definitly will do if attempting to keep up with our bikes !!
It would make a good bike for my wife if it wasn't so heavy, and is a good candidate for my nephew who has no idea about maintenance and barely the skill to ride one of them to their full potential.
Yea my neighbor brags his up and down but on every attemp i've made, bailed out to go riding with me. I even promised not to embarass him fully in front of his kids.
Go figure..... :)

• Bamster

Posted November 24, 2003 - 05:27 AM

You can flood my wr 400 all you want.
If I smell fuel when starting, all I do is kick the bike 7 to 10 times with the decompresser ,do the drill and presto.

• timvv51

Posted November 24, 2003 - 06:43 AM

I have owned the xr650 and now own an xr400 and a WR450 and they are all three great bikes that have their advantages. For me the balace is heavily in the WR450 zone right now. XR400s make great bikes to let friends borrow. If I lived in Baja the XR650 would be the only bike I would need. We will see after Honda comes out with the CRF450X. I for one will not let any superficial brand loyalty keep me off the best bike. Tim

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.