epic suspension on these things!

5 replies to this topic
  • sirthumpalot

Posted October 14, 2001 - 03:54 PM

Being a rookie, I just suprised myself with how good the suspension on these things soaks up big landings this weekend and I thought that I would share. At the local track there is a table top which last week (it was sandy/dry) I was having to gas it pretty good in 3rd to clear. This week they did some maintenance and redid the face for this jump and watered the track. Being a rookie I underestimated how much better my drive was out of the corner and overcleared it by good 15+ feet. After the takeoff my first thought was wow, I sure missed the landing. My next thought was wow, I can see right over the stands. Then I realized I was still in the air and this was probably going to really smart in a few moments. Well I landed flat and racked myself pretty good, but other than that no pain at all! Wow was I surprised! It probably didn't look bad at all to you fast guys who were watching, but to a MX beginner it sure felt like I had enough time in the air to balance my check book.

Sorry for the babbling, just killing time before work tomorrow and if I can't ride then there's nothing better than talking about it. Posted Image

• nozzlejockey

Posted October 16, 2001 - 04:04 PM

Hey! I just had a similar "situation" at home. I work for the fire department and have talked a few of the guys into getting bikes and I finally got them to come out to my house. I have a small track with a 50' table top and 30' set of doubles. Anyway when we started riding I was like a third grader and over jumped the 50' and flew 60' into the flat. The bike soaked it up no problem. I'm sure you flew father but I think I similar thoughts.

Later - The Fireman

• motoman393

Posted October 16, 2001 - 05:04 PM

Yeah the YZF's stock suspension is very good, one of the best suspension combo on a stock bike. I am 165lbs and I am at stock settings (with ATF in the forks and rear sag at 100mm) I have overcleared 110ft tabletops and 100ft triples by nearly 10ft (I also have cased it a few times and it wasnt fun) and the susp. soaked it up very nicely...I still get the "oh crap" feeling when I am about to land but it surprisingly isnt bad! I am enjoying my bike and am very glad I purchased it! Now I just gotta get my clutch pull lighter! Later,

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 426!
Motoman393's MX Site

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted October 17, 2001 - 01:24 AM

If you haven't tried it yet, try TriFlow for the clutch cable. I was amaized at the difference that it made compared to the cable lube that I used previously.

• m2g4b

Posted October 17, 2001 - 03:28 AM

Hey there guys,I dont know what yr of yzf's you have, me I ride a 98 model. Im like you, the stock suspension works really well. Im a beginner mx rider also and I have cased a few and over-jumped a few and the bike has never failed to soak it up! And as far as the clutch feel. mine is real stiff also so I bought a motion-pro cable (havent installed it yet) what else do i need to do to make this easier to pull?

• candlkirk

Posted October 18, 2001 - 04:20 AM

Call Honda of Tulsa in Tulsa, Ok. They sell a clutch lever called a RTC. It takes a Honda clutch perch. I will make your clutch pull really easy.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.