Mcct install question

8 replies to this topic
  • J.Ackel

Posted October 05, 2012 - 02:32 PM

If I remove the acct and match the mcct to be the same length... Will I avoid having to TDC the piston? Or might I have to go a little longer on the mcct to make sure enough tension is on the chain to avoid skipping a tooth...?

Ive read the install faq, but want to skip the the wholle tdc thing. Thx.

• UrbanTerror

Posted October 05, 2012 - 02:56 PM

Just curious, why do you want to avoid it?

You need a large socket and some allen wrenches.

• Black_DRZ

Posted October 05, 2012 - 03:07 PM

If I remove the acct and match the mcct to be the same length... Will I avoid having to TDC the piston? Or might I have to go a little longer on the mcct to make sure enough tension is on the chain to avoid skipping a tooth...?

Ive read the install faq, but want to skip the the wholle tdc thing. Thx.

You need it at TDC to insure that both inlet and exhaust valves are closed and no weight on the cam chain.
But hey, if you want to skip that step, go for it. :p

• William1

Posted October 05, 2012 - 03:50 PM

There is a right way to install the MCCT and a few dozen wrong ways.
Take the tank off. Take the valve cover off. Take your spark plug out. Get the engine to TDC with the cam lobes at 2 and 10 O'Clock. Feel the tension on the cam chain between cams. DO NOT ROTATE THE ENGINE!!! Remove the ACCT. Install the MCCT (with the adjust all the way out (plunger in/bottomed)). Finger tighten the MCCT. Check the tension, it should be real close to how it was before you removed the ACCT. Tight the MCCT lock nut. Spark plug back in. Valve cover on. Tank on. Now you can rotate the engine. Fire up bike and check adjustment listening for the 'coffee can full of washers'. See the FAQ for greater detail.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • J.Ackel

Posted October 05, 2012 - 04:44 PM

Bogus, that a few guys on youtube posted misinformation, I think one of the is fragmasterkarl too. Could be wrong though. Thanks TT gurus for settin me straight.

• J.Ackel

Posted October 05, 2012 - 04:49 PM

I assumed that buy tdc'ing it, all I was doing was eliminating the possibilty if having the chain becoming too loose on start up and jumpibg a tooth. But now I understand that this is not the case, cause by merely tightening down the mcct after install before starting and adjustment, wont ensure a proper install. I dont know why this is, but ill follow the good advice from those more knowledgable than me.

• NEKOOHC

Posted October 05, 2012 - 05:11 PM

Smart move on fitting the MCCT

• E.Marquez

Posted October 05, 2012 - 05:24 PM

Or you could read and follow the write up in the FAQ.. It is a known basic way that covers the most needed questions

• Phil Ken Sebben

Posted October 06, 2012 - 05:44 AM

The last thing you wanna do is take a shortcut and have to find TDC, AND reset your cam chain. Just pop out the viewing window, give it a turn and you wont have to worry about anything! When i did my cam chain, after removing the ACCT, i heard it shift, so ended up resetting everything anyway, but if its at TDC, itll remain where it needs to be, no worries. FragMasterKarl is an expert and his videos are often like skimming the FAQs here, just read everything and do it the right way.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

what's the most comfortabe seat/seat mod for DRZ400 by the doog

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  107 replies
Forums
Photo

FCR 39mm Carb from TT store - Question by Chubs604

• Hot  58 replies
Forums
Photo

DRZ400SM fork springs? by Ladyeclectic

• Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

$2000 for a decent DR-Z 400s...need a reality check!? by sbscale0309

• Hot  39 replies
Forums
Photo
Nevada

MY BIKE WAS STOLEN LAST NIGHT…. 9/1-2/2014 Las Vegas. by ARMRD X

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Southwest
  • 13 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.