WR426F to a YZ426F, how close can you get?

8 replies to this topic
  • gawarrior

Posted November 10, 2003 - 09:21 AM

I am considering doing some track riding on my WR426F in addition to the trail riding I do. And possibly in the future doing some light or beginner racing. How close can you get the WR426F to the YZ426F as far as mods and weight? What all would it involve?

Thanks guys

• WRSTEVE

Posted November 10, 2003 - 09:40 AM

Gawarrior,
I have done the same thing to my bike, the only things that i'm missing are the YZ Tank, Seat and timing. I have the subframe, exhaust, fenders, number plate. The other couple of thing like the 19" rear wheel & chain i'm not going to worry about. I have also taken off my reserve for my coolant, after weighing what I have taken off my bike and weighing the new YZ stuff, I have shaved 7 pounds from my bike. I just can't wait til I get my Tank & Seat, I know it makes a big, big difference in handling. I have ridden my Brother in-laws 02 YZ426 many times. How close can you get?
If I had my Tank & Seat, the only way you could tell the difference is by my kickstand. :)

• gawarrior

Posted November 10, 2003 - 10:02 AM

Good deal. Looks like I need to get the tank and seat combo too. I know I need to do the timing also. What about the flywheel? I know the WR's is different that the YZ's, can you put the same flywheel that a YZ has on the WR? And what kind of difference would that make if you were able to do it?

Sounds like I could get pretty close to a YZ if I try. Is there anything else? Also, would the suspension be better if the bike was lighter? Is it different than the YZ suspension?

• racemile

Posted November 10, 2003 - 10:28 AM

The heavier flywheel is going to make the WR wind up a bit slower than the YZ, but, it also wont be as prone to stalling.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jwriott

Posted November 11, 2003 - 10:01 AM

How much lighter was the exhaust? Subframe?

I'd love to shave some weight off my bike instead of going smaller.

• WRSTEVE

Posted November 11, 2003 - 12:07 PM

How much lighter was the exhaust? Subframe?

I'd love to shave some weight off my bike instead of going smaller.

The YZ Subframe was 1.9 lbs lighter than the WR
and the exhaust was nearly 4 lbs light than the WR.
When I got my YZ exhaust it was scratched up pretty good, so I wet sanded it and painted it with that black wrinkle finish paint & installed the new spark arrestor from PMB, it looks sweet :)

• jwriott

Posted November 11, 2003 - 12:17 PM

5.9 lbs. up high may be worth it to me.

Did you notice any power increase using the YZ pipe with the PMB insert over the stock exhaust?

• BigDesto

Posted November 11, 2003 - 12:27 PM

Heres a pic of my WR426 before i sold it
Posted Image
YZ-TANK,SEAT,MUFFLER,REAR FENDER,FRONT # PLATE,OVERFLOW REMOVED,TROTTLE STOP REMOVED,BLUE AND GREY WIRE DISCONNECTED,YZ TIMED, AND THE BEST ONE 03 EXHAUST CAM!

• WRSTEVE

Posted November 11, 2003 - 02:03 PM

5.9 lbs. up high may be worth it to me.

Did you notice any power increase using the YZ pipe with the PMB insert over the stock exhaust?

You will able to tell the difference. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.