2012 WR450 top end noise?

7 replies to this topic
  • Lumberjack450

Posted October 03, 2012 - 07:57 PM

Heard a noise, like a Rattle, coming from valve train area it sounds like... still starts fine, runs great, but has that noise. Gets louder with the RPMs ...

Only 30 hours on the bike, like 1000 miles of desert... 3hr oil changes, oil filter every other change, cleaned air filter often...

No trouble before this. Came out of nowhere. Only thing I did to the bike between rides was install a scotts stabilizer ..

Any advice or ideas? Going to contact dealer tomorrow. Only 30 hours! :'(

• cwallershasta

Posted October 04, 2012 - 10:27 AM

Sounds like the plastic spill tray on the fuel tank, I think I'm going to glue mine down. It's funny once I found out what it was, I don't really notice it anymore. But I still might glue it down anyway.

• Eric@ScottsPerformance

Posted October 04, 2012 - 12:51 PM

Sounds like the plastic spill tray on the fuel tank, I think I'm going to glue mine down. It's funny once I found out what it was, I don't really notice it anymore. But I still might glue it down anyway.

Is that what they are calling that thing, a Spill tray?????

• woods-rider

Posted October 04, 2012 - 01:08 PM

3hr oil changes

How exactly do you do that? Do you never go on more than a three hour ride, or do you change it durring lunch on the trail?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Lumberjack450

Posted October 04, 2012 - 02:22 PM

How exactly do you do that? Do you never go on more than a three hour ride, or do you change it durring lunch on the trail?

3-4 hours, I live on the edge of my riding area so I just ride an hour or two at a time whenever I can. Obviously if I take it on a trip I ride more before I can change it.. I get free oil so no big deal, I want this thing to last.

I have a desert tank, so no it's not that plastic piece. Plus it's way louder than that..

Taking it in to the shop when I get back from Mexico this weekend, hoping the cam chain or valves just need to be tightened. We'll see.

• supermega1

Posted October 05, 2012 - 09:40 AM

Not sure if your doing the routine maintenance or not but at 600 miles it was time for a valve check. Might be something to look at.

• cwallershasta

Posted October 11, 2012 - 10:19 AM

Did you figure out what it was yet?

• Lumberjack450

Posted October 12, 2012 - 11:55 PM

Yep, valves were out of spec... guess I rode it pretty hard in that last race! Happy guy!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.