Steering race bearings anyone done these?

5 replies to this topic
  • sigops

Posted October 03, 2012 - 05:38 PM

I'm currently inserting my Race bearings and using a race bearing seal driver. The top one was fine but then I tried inserting the bottom one and does not seem to fully seat. Is there a trick to this or maybe it is far enough, I've never actually did one of these before.

Posted ImagePosted Image

This is on a 2001 yz426f. What do you think?

• grayracer513

Posted October 04, 2012 - 06:59 AM

In the second picture, the race appears visibly tilted, high on the far side. They have to go in straight or they jam in the bore. If you have nothing else, use the old race to drive the new one in until it seats. It also has to go all the way down and stop aginst the step in the bore or the steering bearings will keep working loose until it finally migrates there on its own.

Start by moving the high side down even with the other. If the old race is used "right side up", same as the new one, there will be a large edge with which to drive it back out.

• KJ790

Posted October 04, 2012 - 07:02 AM

In the second picture, the race appears visibly tilted, high on the far side. They have to go in straight or they jam in the bore. If you have nothing else, use the old race to drive the new one in until it seats. It also has to go all the way down and stop aginst the step in the bore or the steering bearings will keep working loose until it finally migrates there on its own.

Start by moving the high side down even with the other. If the old race is used "right side up", same as the new one, there will be a large edge with which to drive it back out.

+1 this is how I always do them. I just use the old race to drive the new one in, then use a punch to pop the old race back out once the new one is fully seated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flapwick

Posted October 04, 2012 - 04:57 PM

Using the old race to put in the new race is the way to go.I also wanted to point out that you may have an upper race and bearing,and a lower race and bearing(different part numbers),and your tripleclamps will not seat completely and correctly if you have the wrong one on the wrong end.I found that out first hand on my 04 yz125 and my 05 yz250(what were the chances of getting them BOTH wrong!?).I'm not sure if your bike has different upper and lower,but YOU need to be sure!They looked identical at a glance,but carefully putting them side by side(and checking the numbers),they were slightly different.One is slightly taller.

• sigops

Posted October 05, 2012 - 07:50 AM

thank you for all the help... I removed the bottom one and found a big gash in inside. It would not get passed it. I used a dremel type sanding tool to get rid of it. then I use finer paper to get a smother finish. Once I tried again, it went up all the way. Unfortunetly I already bought a race driver seal kit. If I would of known about using the old race, ... well I would of saved myself 59.99$. oh well now I have one. worse case scenario.

• grayracer513

Posted October 05, 2012 - 08:09 AM

Unfortunetly I already bought a race driver seal kit. If I would of known about using the old race, ... well I would of saved myself 59.99$. oh well now I have one. worse case scenario.

There's nothing unfortunate about owning tools. That driver will have worked better than any "field fix" you could substitute, and who knows what else it will eventually fit.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.