CRF230F Basic Transformation Suspension & Engine Mods

13 replies to this topic
  • arl_racing

Posted October 03, 2012 - 08:27 AM

Hi All,

I had a 2003 CRF230 back in 08-09 and I did some modification back then with the help of this forum and advice from Coeshow. I sold that bike in 2009 and have not been around the forum since.

We'll I just picked up a 2008 CRF230 that is stock except a PC 496 full exhaust system and I have begun setting it up to my liking, trying to learn from what I did on the last bike.

For comparison my last bike was as follows...

2003 CRF230F

Suspension Mods
1986 CR125 Forks with racetech springs and fresh fluid. Kept the stock valving.
Works Steel Gasser Shock.

Impression = The forks worked well enough for me and the shock was amazing. I ride trails at a medium pace and I play around with my kids which means occasional 4 to 5 foot jumps or a slow trip around the MX track. I had raised the bike up about 1.5" with this setup. I used washers to space the steering stem and everything else was a simple bolt on.

Engine Mods
Weisco 11.1 STD Bore Piston
Web 282 Cam
XR250 30mm Carb

Impression = The piston and cam gave the bike a gentle increase at mid and let it hold the power to the rev limiter. It did not make any increasing top end power but it stopped it from tapering off like the stock cam does. It made the bike a lot more fun to ride and overall I was pretty happy. The XR250 carb worked great but I cannot claim any major increase.

Gearing
14 and 49

Ergos
Renthal CR High bend

Okay so, now on to the new project bike.

What I learned from the 03 bike was that the old CR forks only really added ride height it is still an old style fork and it was just as heavy if not more so than the stockers.

So this time around I kept the stock forks and I modified the damping rods by closing off the rebound holes, used 10 wt Bel-Ray fuild filled 5.5" from the top with out springs and put in a set of Cannon Racecraft .44 kg springs. I weigh 160lbs without gear. I tested the bike with this as the only mod completed so far and I can say from memroy this setup works as good if not better than the CR125 forks for the trail riding and playing around I do.

I have decided on a set of Renthal RC not CR High bars for this bike as they are a little taller than the CR High. I have them installed and have done a short ride with them. I am still trying to get used to the bend. It angles up more at the grip area and just feels different. But I like the overal height better.

I have purchased 14t and 49t gearing as I was very happy with the gearing on the last bike. It spread the gears ratios out a bit and made the power last a bit longer. I know everyone has different opinions on this but I like it.

I have decided on the same shock setup as I really loved the last one. So a Works Steel shock is going on. I will order one directly from works and have it setup for my weight and valved for what they are calling cross country. They told me this is a middle of the road valving and basically said trail riding would be softer and MX would be stiffer valving.

For the engine mods I will put in the pre-requisit weisco 11.1 piston and I am going to try a web cam 89a grind this time around as it seams everyone that has one loves it. I have seen mixed reviews on the 282 as even I have said it is good but not much for a top hit. 89a owners have been know to say more power everywhere! I will share my impression when this mod takes place.

For the carb I am going to stick with the stock carb for awhile, when I run out of things to do on the bike I will probably go with an XR250 carb as I like to tinker and modify but I don't believe it really makes a very big difference. Either way I stick with the stock 03-05 CRF230 needle as it has been great as coeshow has pointed out years ago.

My goal is a clean looking very reliable bike that I can chase the kids on all day long and still push through the single track trails with my friends. Modifying the bike is part of the fun for me!

Edited by arl_racing, October 03, 2012 - 08:29 AM.

• 230Fstroker

Posted October 03, 2012 - 09:10 AM

Good info.

Doesn't the Works rear shock run about 6 bills?

• arl_racing

Posted October 03, 2012 - 09:22 AM

Good info.

Doesn't the Works rear shock run about 6 bills?

Yes it does for the basic steel shock with no adjustment other than preload and ride height...but I tried to call Hlebo multiple times and left messages but did not get a call back and then the mailbox was full. And I spoke to Bruce Triplett and he is still having issues with his knee and is not working on anything right now. So, that becomes the most cost effective solution and the works shock truly is great. I guess I could have been more patient and kept trying to get ahold of Hlebo.

• 230Fstroker

Posted October 03, 2012 - 09:27 AM

I've been trying to get a hold of Hlebo also. Full mail box with no response.

I wander if he's that busy or what? I was thinking of shipping my shock to him with my info and see what happens.

Either that or drive to San Jose and find him.

I'm a couple hours away and I hate to drive there for no reason though.

Edited by 230Fstroker, October 03, 2012 - 09:28 AM.

• 230Fstroker

Posted October 03, 2012 - 09:31 AM

Did you use risers with the Renthal RC bars or stock?

• arl_racing

Posted October 03, 2012 - 10:25 AM

No risers. I am guessing a set of risers and the CR high bar would be a great setup but I just don't personally like the look of risers. I really wanted to buy the Renthal bend specified for the CRF230, it looks like a good bend from the stats on paper. Only reason I did not get it was I wanted black and that bar is not available in black. So I settled for the RC high.

• 230Fstroker

Posted October 03, 2012 - 11:25 AM

I need to switch out my stock bars. I haven't done any research yet, I didn't realize they made a bend specific bar for the 230F.

Good info I'll have to check into it.

• arl_racing

Posted October 10, 2012 - 10:34 AM

Update on the RC High bars.

I had them rotated forward in the clamps quite a bit and that was causing the sweep angle to rise the ends up too high, if that makes sense... rotating the bars rearwards a bit leveled out the grip angle and made the bars feel much better. It also makes them feel a tad bit lower which is what I was trying to combat by rolling them forward.

All considered the bar has a nice feel when angled right.

Also got the works shock on today with no hassle. The easiest way to replace the shock in my opinion is to take the bolt out of the bottom of the dogbone link and the top and bottom bolts out of the shock and raise your swingarm up until the shock drops out. Doing this on a stand with the rear tire removed. Takes about 15 minutes.

Piston and gaskets arrived today. Waiting on 89A cam.

Anyone have a good trick for getting the cylinder over the piston without bending the oil rings? I remember fighting this the last time and I ruined one set of oil rings and luckily managed to get the second set in okay.

• IL8APEX

Posted October 10, 2012 - 04:01 PM

Anyone have a good trick for getting the cylinder over the piston without bending the oil rings? I remember fighting this the last time and I ruined one set of oil rings and luckily managed to get the second set in okay.

http://www.google.co...iw=1680&bih=955

-Tom

• RCN4HIM

Posted October 10, 2012 - 05:43 PM

Btw... I put on Pro Taper KX Hi bars on my 230 and love them... huge improvement and are very comfortable for me and my 12 year old who uses it as a pit bike when we race MX on the weekends.

• arl_racing

Posted October 15, 2012 - 07:10 AM

I am going to give the RSW Racing top triple clamp a try with the RC High bars I have. The clamp will let me move the bars forward and then I can rotate them back a little more to flatten them out. I played around with the angle of the bars and I really like them when they are angled back to a nuetral position but I feel like they are too close to me. So, I am hoping this will do the trick. I'll give feedback when I get it.

• arl_racing

Posted October 16, 2012 - 04:22 PM

I have not gotten the RSW clamp yet but I did make a change to my RC High bar last night. I cut 3/4" off each end of the bar. With Pro Taper pillow top grips my overall width was 32" end to end and now it is 30.5". This is as narrow as that bar can go as my controls just fit.

I am really glad I cut the bars. The feel and performance is way better for trail riding in my opinion. The bars are still too close to me so excitedly waiting for the RSW top clamp.

I am getting pretty happy with my setup.

• Landerz

Posted October 17, 2012 - 01:48 PM

I have the top rsw triple on mine and it is a huge improvement. Opens up the cockpit and makes standing up more comfortable. Get the smallest risers( 2") as these are tall anyway. You will love them! Highly recommended!

• thumperjay

Posted November 01, 2012 - 02:56 PM

Yes it does for the basic steel shock with no adjustment other than preload and ride height...but I tried to call Hlebo multiple times and left messages but did not get a call back and then the mailbox was full. And I spoke to Bruce Triplett and he is still having issues with his knee and is not working on anything right now. So, that becomes the most cost effective solution and the works shock truly is great. I guess I could have been more patient and kept trying to get ahold of Hlebo.

I am having the same issue... trying to get ahold of Hlebo to send my shock. It' strange... I left a msg, nobody has called me back, and now I can't even leave a message.

What is up with that I wonder.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

top 10 new mods for a crf 230? by Crf230_Honda

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

DOT Street Tires for a 2005 Honda CRF230F by daateamhonda

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Stickey: Jetting the 230F (Power-up Kit) by 230F

• Hot  506 replies
Forums
Photo

crf230f or crf250x what should i buy? by offroad circus

• Hot  68 replies
Forums
Photo

crf230f best mods for $600 by Joel D

• 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.