2010 450 setup

8 replies to this topic
  • BBrown626

Posted October 01, 2012 - 05:48 PM

I really hadn't done much with my suspension over the last year or so. The forks and shock were bone stock, except springs. As a result of a few clicks here and there based on track conditions, lack of maintenance (?) or whatever, my bike's handling was not real good. Both my forks had failed seals that weeped a little and then gushed when racing at Glen Helen. The race didn't go so well and my bike really beat me up. The rear seemed to be kicking quite a bit.

I replaced the oil and dust seals in both forks, drilled the free piston, cleaned things up real good and put some oil back in them. The forks received 325ml of 5wt. The inners have the 5wt too and were properly filled per DaveJ's instructions.

The shock was cleaned up and inspected. Everything looked great, so it was filled with Motul shock oil and charged to 155psig.

I reset all the clickers to MXA's recommendations as my starting point. I noted that my fork rebound was several clicks out from their settings, and compression was out a few clicks from their recommendations. I had my forks up in the clamps about 7mm. On the shock I was at 110mm sag and my clickers were a ways from the recommendations. I reset my shock to 100 mm sag. The Forks went to flush in the clamps.

I read a few suspension setup guides and a great explanation of shock compression and rebound settings from Ross Maeda.

With my baseline set and a couple articles printed out, I headed for testing at Perris Raceway.

The ride from the truck to the track revealed handling was odd. I did a few figure-eights in the starting area and was not happy with steering.
I raised the forks about 2mm in the clamps and gave it another try and it was OK. It was significantly different.

The track was fresh and I needed to warm up a bit and get a good feel for my settings. I rode 8 or 10 laps and was still a little unhappy with the turning. It leaned over and turned better than it did at Glen Helen, but it was not holding the inside line so well.

After raising the forks to about 4mm above the clamps and relaxing a bit, I tested it some more. It settled in, leaned over and turned even better but I felt that at mid turn the radius changed a bit and it felt like the front was coming up a bit.

One click in on the rebound to 7-out and cornering was really good.

I was very surprised how much better the bike handled after the effort. The exercise reminded me how sensitive the bike is to minor changes. Adding or subtracting a few pounds from the rider could easily have a substantial impact on handling!

• dfinn

Posted October 01, 2012 - 07:40 PM

would you mind sharing that link to the MXA baseline settings? I'm currently breaking in a '12, haven't touched the stock settings yet but I feel like it doesn't quite handle as well as my '03 did. Time to start playing with the settings.

• BBrown626

Posted October 03, 2012 - 07:12 PM

would you mind sharing that link to the MXA baseline settings? I'm currently breaking in a '12, haven't touched the stock settings yet but I feel like it doesn't quite handle as well as my '03 did. Time to start playing with the settings.

http://motocrossacti...VOLUT-7619.aspx

Edited by BBrown626, October 03, 2012 - 07:12 PM.

• YamaLink

Posted October 05, 2012 - 07:09 AM

Yep, changing race sag a few mm makes a diff and changing fork height a few mm makes a HUGE difference.
Is your rebound setting changing in accordance with your compression changes?
And not to sound elementary, but what about your tire pressure? That plays a role, too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dfinn

Posted October 05, 2012 - 12:44 PM

http://motocrossacti...VOLUT-7619.aspx

Cool, thanks.

Seems like it would be helpful if they posted their test rider weight(s)

• thumpinberry

Posted October 10, 2012 - 04:38 AM

drd relocation kit totally changes this bike for the better.it took 3 trys on suspension to get it,but it turns and holds its line and is much more stable.

• BBrown626

Posted October 10, 2012 - 05:21 PM

Yep, changing race sag a few mm makes a diff and changing fork height a few mm makes a HUGE difference.
Is your rebound setting changing in accordance with your compression changes?
And not to sound elementary, but what about your tire pressure? That plays a role, too.

I have not changed compression or rebound due to changing the other. My compression was set a little stiff and then softened to allow the bike to turn well. I then increased rebound to the point where the forks remained compressed through a turn, backing off a bit until I could tell rebound was decreasing the turning performance. It took a little while to get a feel for it.
I like to run 12-13 PSI, depending on track conditions. I run the Bridgestone 203 and 404.

• BBrown626

Posted October 10, 2012 - 05:22 PM

drd relocation kit totally changes this bike for the better.it took 3 trys on suspension to get it,but it turns and holds its line and is much more stable.

I agree. I have the DRD kit too and it made a noticeable difference.

• motomike1000

Posted October 21, 2012 - 05:01 AM

Just ordered my DRD kit,how was the install?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.