low rpm problem

5 replies to this topic
  • gal

Posted October 13, 2001 - 08:25 AM

hi there
when i ride my 2000 yz426f on low rpm, the engine turns off. its only low speed, specialy when i ride on rocks - so i have to ride with half clutch and it kills my arm n my clutch. is there anything i can do?
i ride 15/49 and stock jettings . the bike runs great. at the beggining i tought it was my bad riding but i asked two of my friends to ride it and they had the same prob. what should i do?

• gal

Posted October 13, 2001 - 08:27 AM

just to clear things up - its only when i ride rocks n tight enduro's...

• sirthumpalot

Posted October 13, 2001 - 11:44 AM

Is it stalling because the engine RPM just gets to low (lower than idle)? Does it stall while you're going a steady speed, or when you give it gas to speed up?

The yz has a very tall first gear and it's tough to go really slow without stalling. I'm wondering if this is what's happening with you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boit

Posted October 13, 2001 - 04:29 PM

Plus, you've made 1st gear even taller by adding a tooth to the countershaft. 14/49 is stock. If you are riding in very slow conditions you would probably see an improvement if you went to something such as 13/50 and adding a flywheel weight. Make sure your engine is in a good state of tune.

• gal

Posted October 14, 2001 - 09:27 PM

YES SIR THUPMALOT, THATS MY PROBLEM CAUSE IM A BIT SCARED WHEN I RIDE ON ROCKS....
ILL GIVE 14/50 A TRY
WHAT FLYWHEEL DO U RECCOMEND AND WHERE CAN I BUY IT FROM (AN ONLINE SHOP OR SOMETHING)
THANKS

• Boit

Posted October 14, 2001 - 12:56 PM

You can try E-Line and/or Zip Ty and maybe IMS. The WR side of this forum has threads concerning flywheel weights. Seems like 10oz. is about the most popular weight.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.