Help, header pipe is too hot

5 replies to this topic
  • tawood385

Posted October 12, 2001 - 07:40 AM

I recently installed a Power Core IV Q muffler, and now my header is getting way too hot. I know it is normal for it to glow red, but mine is turning bright yellow/white with sparks flying off of it within 1 minute of starting the bike. The biggest problem with this is that the bike is already running a little rich, so I don't want to richen the mixture to cool things off. The muffler is new and does not seem restricted (at least restricted more than it should be). Anyone else notice this with this muffler?

'01 YZ426
'00 Harley Police Special(Got it for free, and I get paid to ride it!)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 12, 2001 - 09:30 PM

I can't help you with this but I hope someone else has tried this as I have been considering one to replace my DSP spark arrestor because it is way too loud. I do have a buddy who put a new silencer on his XR 400 and the packing blew out and clogged the pipe (you couldn't see it) and made the bike run really bad. Good luck.

• WR_Jason

Posted October 12, 2001 - 11:08 AM

Why do you say its already running to rich?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tawood385

Posted October 13, 2001 - 04:12 AM

...because it is running rich. A little carbon/soot on the spark plug, no "popping", etc at any throttle setting whether accelorating or deccelorating, and any adjustments to the main jet, needle position, pilot jet or idle circuit to the rich side results in a poorer running engine. I'm thinking the muffler causes too much backpressure, raising exhaust temps.

[This message has been edited by tawood385 (edited October 13, 2001).]

• az426

Posted October 13, 2001 - 06:30 AM

white hot within 1 minute?wow that sounds scary,is there noticeably less exhaust coming from the muffler?maybe call up the manufacturer and ask or e-mail.only other thing is maybe a bad vacuum leak or something in the carb.usually white hot means a lean condition.i would swap original
muffler back on and compare.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 13, 2001 - 07:33 AM

I had a similar condition to this when I tore the rubber boot between carb and engine. It was sucking air. I'm much more careful now when turning carb to work on it.

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.