Exhuast port carbon buildup

3 replies to this topic
  • bbeakley

Posted October 12, 2001 - 06:29 AM

I have a '00 426 which means I take the header off to remove the oil filter (I love that design *grrr*). When I did this, I noted a buildup of black carbon gook in the exhaust port just prior to the header pipe. Is that normal or should it be cleaned? If so, how do you clean it. I didn't see any mention of this maintenance in my owners manual. It's an even film that's smooth, but it's built up to maybe 1mm in thickness (hard to say for sure). Again, any advice would be appreciated.

• jaybird67k

Posted October 12, 2001 - 07:01 AM

I had the same problem until switching to Quality race fuel, now its clean and white and also no more fouling problems.
I cleaned my header pipe with carb cleaner and a rag on a string, the carbon in the exhaust port will remove it self after going to race fuel.
Dont forget that this is a high performance race engine and this requires HP fuel, regardless of the marketing schemes provided by Yamaha to help sell more bikes to the masses.

Later, Jason

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Roostie_1

Posted October 12, 2001 - 07:28 AM

BTW- you shouldn't have to remove your header to change your oil. Next time just loosen the header a bit and it should slide out of the way just enough to remove your filter.

• bbeakley

Posted October 12, 2001 - 09:49 PM

Thanks Roostie. That's actually usually what I do, problem is I like to have the engine warmed up so that all the little particles are suspended in the fluid and drain out. If the engine is cold, all the crap settles and you don't get it out. BUT, since the header gets HOT when the engine is warm it would be nice if you didn't have to touch it at all. I'll keep my eyes out for an '01 header for sale and upgrade first chance I get.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.