Tire Irons

7 replies to this topic
  • J_T

Posted November 09, 2003 - 10:09 AM

I need to get a pair of Tire Irons for my tool pack but they come in a ton of sizes and features, What sizes have ya'll used that found has worked? I know longer would make easier but harder to carry, is there a limit to what is just too short to work with?

Thanks in advance?

• Big_D

Posted November 09, 2003 - 10:21 PM

I carry a pair of the Motion Pro that are like the Enduro Pro irons, but mine are not that nice. I also carry a "cheater bar" that came from a Kawasaki EX500 tool pack, it is a short piece of tubing that was flattened to slide over the iron to make it longer. And I have a 17mm/27mm axle wrench which is very flat that makes a good 3rd iron to hold the bead while you actually use the other two.

One option that I have seen that looks really cool is Kowa Seki www.kowatools.com makes irons that have axle wrenches in one end. They come in a bunch of sizes so just buy one for the front and one for the back. I will warn you that they are a bit expensive.

Hope this helps. Because there is nothing worse than pushing a BRP any distance back to the truck!!! :)

• J_T

Posted November 10, 2003 - 06:42 AM

That is a start! I haven't changed my own tires yet and I am going to start so I know how for the future, I also have a feeling that once I do it a couple of times I'll find that I may need something in addition like you said you use your axle nut wrench to help. So I guess I'll just get a medium length pair and see what damage I can do from there!

• Big_D

Posted November 10, 2003 - 06:24 PM

OH!! :D

Now it sounds like you are going to change tires in the comfort of your own garage. I have better tools to suggest for that. Get yourself a pair of the "Ultimate Tire Irons" they are sold by several different companies (Zip-Ty, Moose, Etc) but they are usually about 10" long, have red plastic handles, and a nice wide spoon that is kind to tubes and beads.

Then to start it is nice to have an old tire to use as a stand while you work the tire on and off. I used an old Dunlop 207GP off of my GSXR for a while before I sucked it up and bought a real changing stand.

Some additional tips, use plenty of soapy water to help slide the bead on the rim. Powder your tubes with either baby powder or corn starch so they do not stick to the inside of the tire. And the best tip is to put just enough air in the tube so it holds its shape when you put it on, this will help prevent twists and pinch flats.

My earlier post is what I take with me to be able to change a tube "on the moon". :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • J_T

Posted November 10, 2003 - 07:45 PM

You were correct in your first post! I wanted to know what was needed for trail changes. I am going to try it first in my garage where I can learn how in comfort but once I get it down I'm not going to fool with it on my own unless I have to! But thanks for the info about soap and corn starch that should make my learning changes easier!

• qadsan

Posted November 10, 2003 - 08:58 PM

When you do practice in the garage, replace your stock tubes with the Bridgestone 'Ultra Heavy Duty' tubes and perhaps they might save you from some potential flat tire hassles. Bridgestone makes standard, heavy duty and ultra heavy duty tubes and there's a huge difference between your stock tubes and the ultra heavy duty tubes. For changing tires in your garage, get the biggest curved tire iron that Motion pro sells and poslish the ends to a super smooth finish to minimize the potential for pinching a tube.

For the trail, I keep a Motion Pro tire spoon and a Motion Pro Bead Buddy with my bike sometimes, but most of the time I keep my stuff back at my camp :). Once you break the bead with a tire spoon or your tire iron, one end of the 'Bead Buddy' slips in between the rim & tire and the other end hooks around one of your spokes to hold it in place so it doesn't pop out. It takes the place of another tire iron/spoon so you don't have to hold it down while working on the other one. You can change a tire with one tire iron/spoon and one bead buddy, but its nice to have two irons or spoons and especially nice to have the big 15" curved iron from Motion Pro which makes removal and installation that much easier.

• AzMtnThumper

Posted November 10, 2003 - 10:26 PM

For trail use as a substitute for the bead buddy I use a pair of vice grips with electrical tape on the jaws to keep from scratching my rim. I agree get yourself at least one big tire iron (yes they are a PITA :) to carry), I use WD 40 on the beads as a lubricant(I have one of those tiny cans in my pack) and baby powder (small - also in my pack) on the heavy duty tube with just a shot of air in it to keep it away from the wheel and iron(s).

• powermonger525

Posted November 25, 2003 - 06:45 PM

I wouldnt normally pimp my own products on a website, but you are asking for EXACTLY what I make.
I make a Titanium tire iron that also has a wrench for the axle nut. It is made just for trail use. You carry 2. One wrench fits the front axlenut, the other fits the rear axlenut. You use them both to mount-dismount the tire. I have carried them about 25,000 offroad miles (really) and have changed about 50 tires with them.
Check out my website- www.sopgear.com

Related Content

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.