Has anyone tried this rear sprocket?

2 replies to this topic
  • J_T

Posted November 09, 2003 - 09:06 AM

Hey Ya'll I know I am cheap and I was looking through RockymountainMC.com at their sprockets for the XR650R and I ran across what they call the "Primary Drive Rear Sprocket" which is probably another companies sprocket made to OEM specs BUT it is only 14.99! I am wondering about reactions b/c it hardened steel instead of SS steel. Also I still have the stock chain w/ out noticeable wear so I figured I could save and buy one of the expensive good SS steel sprockets when it comes to a new chain also! (I know SS steel is best bet but want to wait until I buy chain at same time) The only reason I was looking was for a cheap size change!
Will I be doing more harm than good with this type?
Will it cause increase chain wear? (I am still using stock sprockets now anyway)
I could go through three of these for the price of one SS sprocket? But there is a point where going cheap could cost more in the long run like speeding up chain wear.

OR would it be better for me to go with the moderatly priced Aluminum sprocket? (I thought a softer sprocket may not wear the chain. I could almost go through two aluminum sprockets for the cost of one SS)

Thanks for ya'lls help
JT

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jeffro426

Posted November 09, 2003 - 06:24 PM

Ive used Primary Drive sprockets before...for 15 bucks there VERY hard to beat. They will outlast aluminum many times over, although i dont know about stainless steel. The only drawback to them is they are HEAVY, probably more than twice as heavy as a comaparable aluminum sproket although youll probably never notice the weight.

• big t

Posted November 11, 2003 - 03:59 PM

I just got my primary drive front and rear sprockets. They look like good quality sprockets and I ask this same question a couple of weeks ago on 4 different forums. Everybody that replied had nothing but good things to say about them.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.