Handle bar Risers

8 replies to this topic
  • Order66

Posted September 18, 2012 - 08:22 PM

I have an '02 426 that I need to raise the handle bars on. I'm 6'2'' and I can't be bending over all the time but I'm having trouble locating what I need. How can I get the maximum height out of this hog and, preferably, on the cheap? Any leads will be very appreciative. Thanks.

• Local13Ridez

Posted September 18, 2012 - 08:43 PM

Something like this? I have not tried them but was thinking about it.

http://www.rockymoun...ebar-Riser-Kit/

• Order66

Posted September 19, 2012 - 04:57 AM

The bike came with 1'' risers but I need more. My cousin has the same bike and he has this, I don't know what it's called, "riser" that also tightens the steering. This part brought it up about 3'' from stock. 426 parts it seems are becoming scarce from the major manufactures. It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be to replace the gas cap. What is that part or what other methods are there to get the maximum height out of this thing? Thanks for looking Local but I need just a little bit higher. Sucks being tall in a world build for short.

• cereal killer

Posted September 19, 2012 - 05:25 AM

A Rox riser maybe? That doesn't actually tighten the steering, but if he rotated it forward as well as up the different leverage ratio might make the steering feel heavier. I think they're usually 2 inches taller.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 19, 2012 - 07:00 AM

My son is 6'4", and is quite happy with his Pro Taper Windham bend bars, no risers. If they aren't high enough, there's the KX High bend. I don't like risers for anything.

• cereal killer

Posted September 19, 2012 - 01:00 PM

My son is 6'4", and is quite happy with his Pro Taper Windham bend bars, no risers. If they aren't high enough, there's the KX High bend. I don't like risers for anything.

I agree with Greyracer. I don't think risers are a good idea either. I wouldn't have brought up the Rox riser at all, except the OP said he rode a bike with a riser and liked it. The protaper KX high is what I use (6'1" on an '08 450f). I really like it too. It's not a big change when you consider the measurements, but it made the bike feel lighter to me. It's surprising how much of a difference it makes.

Before I bought the bars, I tried putting a thick washer under the bar clamps to gain roughly 5mm of height. I liked that a little better than stock, but the KX high bend was light-years better still.

• Order66

Posted September 20, 2012 - 02:30 PM

6' 4" with no risers, huh? If I lift my butt from the seat I am leaning over the handle bars and can't stand erect. Did he just learn to ride that way? I'm still new and am trying to find a comfortable fit. I bought the Pastrana bars which are supposed to offer the highest lift but I'm still leaning. The set up my cousin has comes with a knob. Turn it one way the steering loosens and turn it the other way the steering tightens. I guess it's supposed to make the control easier depending on the terrain. He also bought some pegs that are a quarter inchish lower but those damn things get expensive for a quarter inch.

Any idea of the difference between the Pastrana and the KX High?

Edited by Order66, September 20, 2012 - 02:31 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted September 20, 2012 - 03:26 PM

6' 4" with no risers, huh? If I lift my butt from the seat I am leaning over the handle bars and can't stand erect. Did he just learn to ride that way?

No, he learned to ride on a CR80, and then a YZ250F with a pair of YZ High bends on it. He was 5'9ish when he got that bike, and 6'1 when he got off it for the big bike. I set the 450 up with Windhams before he rode it.

Pastranas are a little taller than KX Highs, but they're quite a bit narrower, being designed as they are for freestyling.

Don't expect to be able to stand straight up without leaning at all. That's not really a proper riding position in any case. But, one of the things you will find with higher bends like the Windhams is that they not only raise your hand position, they move it forward, too, and that's where you have at least half your problem. Your current bars are forcing you to lean back in order to get far enough behind the bars for good control. Moving your hands forward will "open up the cockpit" and let you stand up straighter and more balanced without "hanging back" on the bars.

• flapwick

Posted September 23, 2012 - 10:19 PM

Sounds like your cousin has a Steering Damper as well as bar risers.I bought some Moose 5/8" bar risers for my bike and I like them alot.I do not have the Steering Damper,but I understand that with some of them,you must have risers to allow the Damper to fit under the handlebar.I do tighten down the steering head nut just a tad extra to have a small damping effect.Gray is right about posture and positioning.....you don't really want to stand completely erect.I had tried an even taller set of risers,and at first I liked it,but after a while I realized it was messing up my cornering ability,and I was also standing too erect and locking my knees on the rest of the track.This led to jamming my joints instead of flexing them.Not good.You are taller than I am,but don't go too crazy with the height.I think that Motosport link will have a set of risers that have several choices in the one kit.Like 3/4",1",and 1 1/4" ,or something like that.Moving(rotating) your bars forward does raise the ends too,but as Gray said,can be awkward if you go too far.The riser kit is 30 or 40 dollars and lets you play with alot of options.There's my two cents worth!

Edited by flapwick, September 23, 2012 - 10:35 PM.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.