Switch gearing on 2011 or not?

11 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted September 18, 2012 - 01:09 PM

I just wanted to see what opinion you guys had about this..... I have 2011 450f and from day one have ran the gearing with a 13T on front and 50T on rear. About every track I race on I can stay in third gear the whole race and may be just occasionally shift to second.

I was wondering if I went back to stock on the rear with a 48T would I be able to go a little faster on the stretch's. I dont never shift to fourth now with the 50T and know I wouldn't with the 48T but seem like I could rev it out a little futher in third with the 48T than the 50T.

Would it be a good thing to switch back to a 48T or just leave as is with the 50T?

• grayracer513

Posted September 18, 2012 - 01:45 PM

Try it and see if you like it. Every track/rider combo is different.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted September 18, 2012 - 06:04 PM

I will try it and see how it does this sunday at the race.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted November 20, 2012 - 10:17 AM

I have been running with the 48t rear(stock) for a month or so. I did have a 50t rear on before. Out of these two I perfer the 50 over the 48t because of the
quicker acceleration you get from the 50tooth.

I am now needing to get a front/rear sprocket and chain and wondered if a 49T
Would be a good choice for gearing? I just race MX and and with the 50T rear I
had on I could stay in 3rd gear at bout all the tracks.

When I put the stock 48T rear back on I did notice I would have to gear down
To 2nd occasionally but could tell that when in 3rd gear it would go a bit
Farther in Rev.
little farther......meaning.....I could go a tad faster and it felt as if .......hard to explain.....

Felt like the stock gearing was a tad bit tall.....Going into some turns in 3rd
made the bike want to go in to fast compared to the 50T and it didn't accelerate
Out of the turn as quick.

As far as comparing the stock gearing 48T rear to the 50T rear....I much better
Like the 50T over the 48 for the MX tracks I race on.

How would you all think a 49T rear would be like? Has anyone tried a 49 rear?
If so how did you like it?

What I'm looking for is .....a rear sprocket gearing that will still accellerate
Quick out of a turn but not be to tall a gear so when you go into a turn it
feels as if it isn't trying to push you through the turn but have a good
Overall feel in 3rd gear. Reckon a 49T rear would be a good choice for this?

I would just bate to get a new 49T and be dissatisfied with it and wished I
Just had stayed with a 50T rear.

Surley someone has tried a 49 rear.....and would like to comment

• Stu2

Posted November 20, 2012 - 10:29 AM

I use my 11 450 for a little track/tech riding and faster off roads, I use a 13/50 and a 14/50,

Surprisingly the 14/50 works good on mx, it smoothes the power out, and there is no real need for 1st on the track so there is enough power in 2nd,

I know its not a 13/48 or 49 but its just for referance

And I am 100kg's so if youre lighter it would prolly be better

• CaptainKnobby

Posted November 20, 2012 - 12:01 PM

I'm 80kg's so that is considerably lighter. However with the 13/48 or the 13/50
Sprockets I have I never use 1st on any track I ride. I only use 2nd and 3rd and at only certain track use 4th for just for a brief 3 seconds on one stretch.

I'm wanting a gearing ratio where 2nd isn't too tall or 3rd falls off too short.

In other words.....whennin 3rd gear and you are going down a stretch ......it
will pull or Rev out farther. I believe with the 13/50 it rev's out in rpms
faster in 3rd than it would if I had a 13/49 on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stu2

Posted November 21, 2012 - 04:04 AM

Ya, i find I can hold a gear for longer especially round a track, and the bike isnt revving too high

• rickallen124

Posted November 21, 2012 - 06:36 AM

13/49 combo works great, pulls a little longer in 3rd and still accelerates well out of corners.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted November 21, 2012 - 08:16 AM

13/49 combo works great, pulls a little longer in 3rd and still accelerates well out of corners.

That's what I was wondering.....if it still accelerated well out of turns. I will
get the 13/49 sprockets this time and give it a go.

Thanks for everyones reply!

• fireball722

Posted November 24, 2012 - 01:33 PM

I have try 49 and 50 and I can tell that I'm not able to drive the 50 very good too slow in second turn gear plus you will have hard time getting the holeshot with the 50 that is my opinion ! a 450 need to be ridden a little on torque if you want the best performance

• CaptainKnobby

Posted November 24, 2012 - 04:14 PM

I have try 49 and 50 and I can tell that I'm not able to drive the 50 very good too slow in second turn gear plus you will have hard time getting the holeshot with the 50 that is my opinion ! a 450 need to be ridden a little on torque if you want the best performance

Depending on which track I was at I didnt have to hard a time getting a holeshot with the 50T. This one track I got the Holeshot this year in all three motos in two classes. the last moto I was 4th or 5th in the first turn but the reason was I spun too bad off the concrete pad. It was wet and muddy that day from rain the night before and early that morning.
I had good starts this year with the 50T all ways the 3rd or 4th one in the turn. Maybe the 49T will be a little better. Dont know .....have to wait and see. The sprockets from vortex are on the way......13/49 with an GB520MXU 120 link chain.

Wonder if I should take 6 links out to a stock 114 link or just take 2 out for a 118 link chain?
Cause dont you add a link for every tooth you go up?

• Modmotoman

Posted November 24, 2012 - 05:38 PM

49 is pretty much spot on for most tracks. 48 is too tall and 50 makes you shift a bit to much. 49 hands down.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.