2009 450 won't start = depression

15 replies to this topic
  • ruleej32

Posted September 17, 2012 - 02:58 PM

My bike won't start at all. I think it might be flooded. In the past week I've had my dad knock it over on accident and leave it on it's side for a day but I was able to get it to start and run. Then a couple of days later it died on the trail while I was riding it. I could not get it to start after. I cleaned the air filter then it would start. Now my brother rode it, stalled it, couldn't get it to start and pushed it home. When he was pushing it home he never turned off the gas and was opening the throttle accidentally when he was pushing it home. Now it won't start at all. This was a couple of days ago. New spark plug?

• FinchFan194

Posted September 17, 2012 - 04:40 PM

Yes pull the tank and put a new plug in. Nothing to be depressed about.

• GreenHornet450

Posted September 18, 2012 - 05:15 AM

Change the oil & remove the plug. Then pdf down on the kicker & check for Hydro Lock.

• ruleej32

Posted September 20, 2012 - 07:52 AM

Posted Image

• gscx

Posted September 20, 2012 - 07:55 AM

LOL. that could be the reason

• ruleej32

Posted September 20, 2012 - 07:57 AM

I tried to pull the ignition coil out to change the plug. I can't get it out though. The ignition coil is really long and is getting stuck on the frame before I can completely pull it out. Even if I wanted to pull the tank and change it the long way and forget about the $20 spark plug tool I just bought it wouldn't matter because again it's getting stuck on the frame. Any ideas??

• ruleej32

Posted September 20, 2012 - 08:00 AM

LOL. that could be the reason

that's not a picture of why it won't start...that's a picture of me trying to change the plug and not being able to get the ignition coil out

• luckyguy19

Posted September 20, 2012 - 08:22 AM

Take off the tank, then you should be able to get out the coil and plug.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ruleej32

Posted September 20, 2012 - 08:24 AM

Take off the tank, then you should be able to get out the coil and plug.

Like I stated above, pulling the tank wouldn't matter, it's getting stuck on my frame. :banghead:

Edited by ruleej32, September 20, 2012 - 08:26 AM.

• luckyguy19

Posted September 20, 2012 - 08:31 AM

Dang man, you have how many people telling you to pull the tank and still you refuse to. Do you think you have to pull the motor out of the frame to change a plug? Pull the tank off, then you can angle the coil out. It will be obvious once you do what people are telling you to do.

• grayracer513

Posted September 20, 2012 - 09:31 AM

Disconnect the wiring harness from the coil, rotate the coil 180 degrees from its normal position, and lift it out, tilting it to clear the frame as it rises.

• ruleej32

Posted September 20, 2012 - 02:56 PM

TBH luckyguy19 your pissing me off. I'm not refusing anything. I'm the least stubborn person I know . I'm open for any ideas that anyone will give me on here that MIGHT WORK. I'm saying though its getting stuck on the frame and taking off the tank won't matter. You obviously can't read or are a know it all. MY GAS TANK IS ABOVE THE FRAME. I'M PERFECTLY AWARE OF THE METHOD OF TAKING OFF YOUR TANK TO GET TO THE PLUG BUT THAT WON'T WORK BECAUSE THE COIL WILL STILL BE STUCK UNDER THE FRAME WHICH IS UNDER MY GAS TANK.

Thank You grayracer as always for the advice. I will try it this weekend.

Edited by ruleej32, September 20, 2012 - 02:58 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted September 20, 2012 - 03:09 PM

Removing the gas tank makes it much easier, as you will see once you've done it. ;)

• FinchFan194

Posted September 20, 2012 - 06:45 PM

Disconnect the wiring harness from the coil, rotate the coil 180 degrees from its normal position, and lift it out, tilting it to clear the frame as it rises.

This is exactly what I do...with the tank off.

• Nautical Miles

Posted September 21, 2012 - 02:05 AM

Hey man, take the tank off.... if nothing else just to "prove" to us it doesnt work. but im sure you will be surprised. :thumbsup:

• beezer

Posted September 21, 2012 - 05:04 AM

I would take the tank off.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.