YZ426POWER

3 replies to this topic
  • YZPWR

Posted October 10, 2001 - 04:30 PM

IS THE 426 HAVE ARM RIPPING POWER LIKE SOME PEOPLE SAY? I AM 6' 140 MY FRIEND HAS RIDDEN A 00 426 AND THE IS A LITTLE SMALLER THAN I AM HE SAID THEY ARE NOT AS BAD AS SOME PEOPLE SAY. I WANT TO BU A NEW 01 OR 02 YZ OR WR426. IS THE WR 426 EASIER TO RID THEN THE YZ426 WITH THE GEARING AND EVERYTHING ELSE AND THE WEIGHT?
THANKS

• yzernie

Posted October 11, 2001 - 12:06 AM

Well....it depends on what type of riding you are going to do. Both bikes are virtually the same with some minor engine and suspension differences.

These bikes have more power than us mortals can use but, they are not ovewhelming. You can get some great deals on 01's right now.

Ernie

------------------
--Life is too short, work hard...play hard--
Sponsored by Yamaha of Cucamonga, Larry Roeseler's Stroker Fourstroke Speed Equipment and Answer Racing, yzernie@dirtracers.com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • streich34

Posted October 11, 2001 - 10:18 AM

When considering the WR versus the YZ, you should honestly consider the majority of riding conditions that you prefer. The YZ is definitely suited more for track riding, while the WR is setup for enduro/trail riding. Both are incredibly powerful machines, but just different characteristics. The YZ is full on quick revving power needed for motocross, while the WR has more tractor grunt with lower 1st/2nd gear ratios for slower trails and climbing. If you read more TT discussions, though, either bike can be modified to act more like the other, its just a matter of preference......Of course we all know the YZ is the ultimate bike!!!

• Scott_in_KC

Posted October 12, 2001 - 12:39 PM

I just went through the same choice....I ended up with a WR426. What was said above about the YZ is dead on, it's fast, snappy, just flat hauls! Now the WR is stock form is nothing compared to this, but with a few mods it can be exactly the same IF you choose. The big difference is the tranny, if you're an avid trail rider the WR will make life much easier, especially if you're coming off another wide ratio bike like an XR or DR. Do not belittle the tranny issue, there is a big difference and should be your main consideration for selecting the bikes. To me the YZ doesn't have a 1st gear compared to mine. If you ride mainly MX and just a few trails, then get the YZ. If you play/trail ride and want stuff like a kickstand, lights and a stump-pulling tranny then get the WR. If you get the WR there are a bunch of little "free" mods you do to the power up to YZ status, or take as far as you wish when your ability allows. The biggest must-do on the WR is get a YZ seat & tank, the stock seat & tank is useless.

You gotta love those 3rd & 4th gear snappy wheelies on the YZ though. You really can't go wrong with either bike, they're both VERY fun to ride.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.