WR450 headlight?

6 replies to this topic
  • Valkman

Posted November 08, 2003 - 09:24 AM

I see that the stock head light is 55W. What is the MAX wattage I can use before it gets to be too much for the wiring and too hot for the case? OR, should I upgrade (if it is) and get the Acerbis Diamond? :)

WR450's KICK!! :D :D

• ETP

Posted November 08, 2003 - 04:05 PM

I just called Ricky Stator (rickystator.com) last week. He says the stock lighting coil of the WR450 is good for 55watts only. The other coil is just enough to charge the battery and run the bike. I am looking at mounting an external high effeciency 55watt halogen light which I could use offroad at night, or run just my 35watt UFO light around town at night. Has anyone else done this yet?

• IceBox

Posted November 08, 2003 - 07:07 PM

Baja Designs told me that one can only rely on about 100 watts, they recommended 70-80watt bulbs for the headlight. Have heard many others running that range for headlight with no problems.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ETP

Posted November 08, 2003 - 07:34 PM

I will call Baja Designs next week. I have been trying to find info on the lighting coil. Can't find anything in the manual, like a VA rating. The schematic does not show a regulator either for the lighting coil circuit. Maybe I am misreading it. There has to be one.

• Valkman

Posted November 08, 2003 - 08:26 PM

That sounds great. Please keep me informed on what you find. :)

• oldbones

Posted November 10, 2003 - 02:44 PM

I raced my '02 426 at night this weekend. Ran stock headlight (surprisingly effective by the way) and a 50W halogen helmet light wired into the bikes headlight circuit. It worked without any problems, but I did notice the need to keep the revs just a bit higher to prevent dimming (like when braking hard for a tight corner).

I think the stock headlight with an added helmet light is a bigger advantage offroad than just a higher wattage headlight bulb. Nothing replaces having a light that shines where you are looking, vice where your bars are pointing.

• Valkman

Posted November 12, 2003 - 12:01 AM

Oldbones, do you have a link for the helmet light?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.