Can you reduce engine braking? 2008 yz 450f

59 replies to this topic
  • ekulb14

Posted September 17, 2012 - 07:53 AM

hi everyone, so on my brothers 2008 yz450f (stock internals and exhaust) it has very heavy or aggressive engine braking. We were wondering if there is anything we can do to lighten it up a bit. Basically we are looking to make the bike smoother, my only thoughts were changing the gearing or possibley getting less restrictive exhaust system?

any thoughts? ideas?
thanks

• RUSVD

Posted September 17, 2012 - 09:04 AM

Maybe raise the idle a pinch.

• FinchFan194

Posted September 17, 2012 - 09:14 AM

Rekluse...

• kx450f63

Posted September 17, 2012 - 09:15 AM

Stay on the Gas!

I am assuming at this point you are saying this... when you shut the throttle it feels like you are stepping on the rear brake?

Have you compared it to another four stroke? Could it be that you just need to get comfortable with the 4 stroke style?

I say this in confidence you have inspected everything and the motorcycle is in proper working order. You could add a heavier flywheel, lessen the compression, change the gearing, change the cam shafts, and so on.

• JFRacing911

Posted September 17, 2012 - 09:17 AM

hinson slipper clutch is for you

• grayracer513

Posted September 17, 2012 - 10:59 AM

Rekluse...

A Rekluse clutch will not reduce engine braking.

• ekulb14

Posted September 17, 2012 - 11:32 AM

ya the bike is working fine, just went to the shop vales checked ect...

yes i have compared it to other bikes, in perticular my 2006 yz450f which feels completley different, my bike has far less engine braking and is a lot smoother all around. The 2008 seems to be much more choppy when accelerating and as kx said its like you are stepping on the brake when you get off the throttle.

I think changing the gearing will be the first step, as its the cheapiest and least invasive fix. really dont want to start messing with the internals just yet.

• FinchFan194

Posted September 17, 2012 - 04:11 PM

A Rekluse clutch will not reduce engine braking.

There are ways to set it up to reduce engine braking.

• grayracer513

Posted September 18, 2012 - 06:37 AM

Really? Where is that written? I'd like to see it.

• peaceofwork

Posted September 18, 2012 - 06:46 AM

a guy was showing me his rekluse and pointed out 3little springsabout 3/4 of an inchlong and round different colors and he said that by changing them motor drag could be alterd. i have no personal experiance with it ,think it was exp model. i was asking about it free wheeling if you backed off the gas going down hill and got the quick lesson lol

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 18, 2012 - 07:05 AM

The Rekluse clutches are simple centrifugal auto clutches that engage above a preset RPM, and then disengage below that. While these parameters are adjustable over a practical range, there is nothing within the Rekluse system that I'm aware of that has any way of reducing engine braking. Typically, if you let off the gas in gear while riding, you'll have completely normal engine braking until the engine slows below the engagement RPM. If you roll down a hill at idle in gear, you'll be coasting until you blip the throttle once to engage the clutch, but then the engine will be hooked up again until you pull the lever or slow to an idle.

What you would need to reduce engine braking is a "back torque limiting" system such as those made for SuperMoto and road racing bikes. These generally have a portion of the clutch plates driven through a one-way device like a sprag or a roller clutch so that it holds hard under power but slips some when you decelerate.

• KJ790

Posted September 18, 2012 - 07:28 AM

The 3 easiest ways to eliminate engine braking are to decrease the compression of the engine (you will lose power as well), buy a slipper clutch (expensive), or pull in the clutch when you let off the throttle.

• flapwick

Posted September 18, 2012 - 07:46 AM

This will be a bit expensive,but MUCH cheaper in the long run.....Buy a YZ250 2-stroke!!!Ba-da-bing!I'll be here all week!Thank you,thank you very much....Hey,I've got an 05 YZ250 and an 07 YZ450F,and I LOVE them both.I put a GYTR heavier flywheel on my YZ250,and it gave the 2-stroke even less engine braking.A hotshot young kid at the track wanted to try my bike and nearly had a heart attack when he shut -off in his usual spot for a corner,and the bike didn't slow down!Obviously,I got the heavier flywheel to smooth out acceleration on the two stroke,but less engine breaking is a by-product of it too.Get a heavier flywheel.....(And no,the heavier flywheel doesn't rob any horsepower).

Edited by flapwick, September 18, 2012 - 07:48 AM.

• RUSVD

Posted September 18, 2012 - 08:46 AM

Put it in a gear higher, see it that helps you.

• FinchFan194

Posted September 18, 2012 - 01:53 PM

The Rekluse clutches are simple centrifugal auto clutches that engage above a preset RPM, and then disengage below that. While these parameters are adjustable over a practical range, there is nothing within the Rekluse system that I'm aware of that has any way of reducing engine braking. Typically, if you let off the gas in gear while riding, you'll have completely normal engine braking until the engine slows below the engagement RPM. If you roll down a hill at idle in gear, you'll be coasting until you blip the throttle once to engage the clutch, but then the engine will be hooked up again until you pull the lever or slow to an idle.

What you would need to reduce engine braking is a "back torque limiting" system such as those made for SuperMoto and road racing bikes. These generally have a portion of the clutch plates driven through a one-way device like a sprag or a roller clutch so that it holds hard under power but slips some when you decelerate.

You said in your first paragraph what I was referring to. The OP asked how to reduce it, not omit it.

• grayracer513

Posted September 18, 2012 - 02:34 PM

Reading it again, ....

...I don't think I indicated a method of reducing engine braking with a Rekluse. I could be wrong....

• FinchFan194

Posted September 18, 2012 - 06:16 PM

So you have never had your Rekluse have more of a loose feel to it where it softens up?

• YZPaGuy

Posted September 18, 2012 - 06:19 PM

So I was installing a new rear tire and checking the bearings today for a race this weekend and it got me to thinking about this post. Some of the more experienced mechanics on here can confirm if my thoughts are correct. An over tightened rear axle nut and or rear axle bearings that are going bad making the decelleration is greater? I guess the front bearings and axle nut could also do that? Maybe a dragging rear brake?

I have an 08 YZ450 and the engine breaking doesn't seen extreme.

• kx450f63

Posted September 19, 2012 - 04:15 AM

The 3 easiest ways to eliminate engine braking are to decrease the compression of the engine (you will lose power as well), buy a slipper clutch (expensive), or pull in the clutch when you let off the throttle.

How does a "slipper" clutch decrease "engine braking"?

• KJ790

Posted September 19, 2012 - 04:23 AM

How does a "slipper" clutch decrease "engine braking"?

http://motocrossacti...f96b82cfcc.aspx

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.